Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Rectory Lane


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063484.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:27:24.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Rectory Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 13824 92396


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2020

TF 19 SW 6/71

WALESBY RECTORY LANE (east side) Church of All Saints

(formally listed as Church of All Saints (Old Parish Church)


GV I Church. c1175, c1200, c1300, C15,C18, C19, restored 1933. Ironstone rubble, some weathered ironstone ashlar Slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry.

Early C13 west tower with pronounced moulded plinth and stringcourse, divided into four stages by moulded stringcourses. Large four stage diagonal buttresses, with Madonna set in niche on south buttress in 1933. West side, first stage has single pointed light with stringcourse above and clock in second stage. North side, second stage has large metal ties and on south side ties formed into initials R.L.C. Stringcourse runs under bell openings on all four sides each being paired pointed lights divided by rectangular shaft with pronounced imposts. All have hoodmoulds. Moulded stringcourse above with billet decoration, projecting, weathered corner gargoyles, battlements and four weathered corner pinnacles.

North aisle of c1300. West end has pointed window with two lights and Y tracery with two stage angle buttress to north, each stage topped by gable. Blocked roundheaded doorway to east, with two, three stage butresses on high stepped plinths beyond. Three light pointed window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Eastern angle buttress of two stages. Moulded eaves and C15 battlements run along top of north aisle. C15 clerestorey with three rectangular windows each with two cusped and pointed lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Flat roofs. East end of north aisle has pointed three light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. East end of nave has coped gable with battlements and finial. Chancel wall between nave aisle and vestry has single lancet.

West wall of C19 vestry has deep set doorway with plank door with small rectangular window to south with leaded lights. North side of vestry has five light stone mullion window with leaded lights. East wall of vestry has two light stone mullion windows with leaded lights. East end of chancel has three light pointed window with restored intersecting tracery with quatrefoils, hoodmould and labelstop heads. Shallow coped gable above. South side of chancel has three light pointed window with reticulated tracery of c1300 and hoodmould. Pointed early C14 doorway beyond with pronounced polygonal impost blocks, polygonal jambs, plank door and hoodmould. Large pointed window beyond with three cusped pointed lights and C19 tracery and damaged early C14 hoodmould. Early C14 east window of south aisle of three lights with intersecting tracery, hoodmould with damaged labelstop to south. Corbel above, to north. Low angle buttress of two gabled stages. South side of south aisle has two, three light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. South porch of c1300 with plainly moulded arched doorway.

Porch interior flanked by stone benches with round headed interior doorway with chamfered jambs, imposts and C18 door. Two stage west angle buttress with gables. Moulded eaves with C15 battlements three windows each with two pointed cusped lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above. West end of south aisle has pointed two light window with intersecting tracery. In north west corner of south aisle, part of tower buttress visible. Interior tower arch of c1300 with semicircular responds, plain capitals and double chamfered pointed arch. North arcade of three bays of c1175 with round headed double chamfered arches, hoodmoulds and heads in spandrels. Round piers with 'waterholding' bases. Plain scalloped capital to western respond. Crocket capital to first pier to east, second pier to east has plain upright stiff leaf capital. East respond plainly moulded. Three bay south arcade of C1200 with double chamfered pointed arches, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Hoodmoulds and heads in spandrels. Western respond has plain octagonal capital. First pier to east has capital carved with human heads and clover type leaves. Second pier to east has plain capital with abacus decorated with band of chip-star decoration. Eastern respond has similar capital and abacus. Stringcourse runs under window of south aisle and towards the east is a double arched chamfered aumbrey of c1300.

North aisle has blocked doorway with rectangular chamfered lintel. East end of north aisle has stone steps, partially restored in 1933 leading up through small rectangular opening to give access to top of ornate wooden roodscreen of 1933. Double chamfered pointed chancel arch with filleted semicircular responds and plain capitals. C19 arched recess for organ in north wall of chancel and rectangular doorway to east of it leading to vestry. Roofs of 1933. In south nave aisle are series of high wooden C18 box pews painted white. Fine ornate octagonal wooden pulpit of 1626, originally from St Leonards Chapel, Kirkstead, complete with ornate octagonal sounding board, recently painted white. East wall of chancel has marble memorial to Mary Davenport, died 1737. Various C19 memorials in nave. C13 drum font much defaced, with angle shafts originally up the bowl. Fittings of 1933. Stained glass of three light east window in south aisle of 1950, financed by the Grimsby Wayfarers Association, showing a central figure of Christ with cyclists on the right and ramblers with haversacks on the left.

Listing NGR: TF1382492396


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10483/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].