Town Hall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1065243
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1973
Statutory Address:
Town Hall, Cambridge Heath Road E2

Map

Ordnance survey map of Town Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:43:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
Town Hall, Cambridge Heath Road E2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34961 83072

Details

TQ 3483 788/4/7

CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD, E2 (east side) Town Hall

27/9/73

II Town hall. 1910 by Percy Robinson FRIBA (1868-1950) with W Alban Jones; eastern extension 1937-39 by E.C.P Monson FRIBA (1872-1941). Portland stone with slate roof.

EXTERIOR: two storeys above basement. Edwardian part consists of a three bay west facade with cupola over arched recess above entrance, with sculptural group of Charity by Henry Poole over the door and banded rustication to ground floor. Nine bay north facade with sculpture of justice by Henry Poole under Diocletion window and pediment. Tall windows within enriched frames to first floor. Inter-war extension to east continues the earlier buildings cornice level but has an attic storey above. It consists of a three storey 19-bay front with a central three bay pedimented centre, with floral panels at second floor level of the centrepiece with relief of the Blind Beggar of Bethnal Green upon the balcony over the entrance.

INTERIOR: extensive original features remain. The Edwardian town hall has an entrance, stairwell and first floor landing with veined marble floors, lining to walls and balusters to stairs and lit by a glazed dome; armorial glass to the stairwell. Two Committee Rooms and the former Mayor's Parlour along the Cambridge Heath Road elevation, lined with Austrian oak panelling. Former Council Chamber opposite stairs: stage and former public gallery have been enclosed for office use. Plaster figures by Henry Poole depicting Truth and Happiness on west wall and Industry and Temperance on the east (presently hidden from sight).

The 1937-39 extension interior has a marble-lined entrance hall with inlaid marble floor, and imperial staircase, lined with Travertine and retaining numerous original light fittings, stair posts, square columns and pilasters faced in veined brown-grey marble. First floor landing with pedimented door surrounds of Hopton Wood stone. New Council Chamber retains its original benches, desks, mayor's seat and gallery, all panelled with Australian walnut, and its heraldic glass. Sequence of former Committee Rooms along the Patriot Square elevation with maple veneer panelling and divided by folding doors. Former Mayor's Room with mahogany panelling, contemporary fireplace, shelving and teak floor, opposite another similar room.

Listing NGR: TQ3497983076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205815
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01512/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Clare Glenister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].