Church of St Anne

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1065485
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
Church of St Anne, St Ann's Hill SW18

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Anne
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065485.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 20:42:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Anne, St Ann's Hill SW18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26031 74446

Details

TQ 27SE 4/16

ST ANN'S HILL SW18 Church of St Anne

14.7.55

II* Parish church. The fifth "Waterloo" church, built 1820-1824 to the designs of Robert Smirke in Greek Revival style. In 1891 William White truncated the western gallery, moved the organ and provided new pews. In 1896 E.W Mountford added an apsidal chancel, Lady Chapel and vestries. Most windows were replaced following bomb damage and the ceiling is a restoration of 1951 by Caroe and partners following fire damage. Built of stock brick with Portland stone dressings.

Stone tetrastyle Ionic pedimented portico and lobby at west end bearing choragic domed circular tower of two stages, the lower stage with pilasters, the upper with attached columns with acroteria above cornice.

Nave of seven bays with round-headed windows above linked by band at impact level and rectangular openings below. East end has 1896 Mountford circular apse with three round-headed openings, the central infilled with stone, all with elaborate keystones and brick and stone piers. Vestries have Venetian windows to north and south and splayed mullions to east.

Interior has circular lobby with stone Royal Coat of Arms and two stone staircases with iron handrails. Seven bay nave has galleries on three sides. Fluted Doric columns to top of gallery and piers below (but rumoured to be cast iron columns beneath). Coffered ceiling of 21 panels replaced following fire in 1951.

Pews by William White of 1891. Elaborate late C17 style pulpit of 1893 and eagle lectern of 1894. Octagonal stone font with marble basin and columns of 1908. Some early C19 wall tablets. Round-headed chancel arch on attached columns. Sanctuary has intersecting arches. High altar has a copy of Leonardo's "Last Supper" in the tympanum of the broken pediment. Chancel pews possibly by William White. Lady Chapel of 1896 by E.W Mountford has marble walls and reredos has a text with heart designs below a painting of the Virgin, Child and St Anne by a parishioner, a Mrs Kirkby.

Monument of 1902 to Jessie Elizabeth Mountford of Connemara marble with bronze plaque. Five bay stained glass window. Memorial chapel to south made out of Mountford's vestry after 1925.

[See Pevsner BOE LONDON 2. SOUTH P702]

Listing NGR: TQ2603174446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207130
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/01495/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul F. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].