This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY (SUMMERS TOWN)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY (SUMMERS TOWN)

List entry Number: 1065538

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY (SUMMERS TOWN), KEBLE STREET SW17

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEBLE STREET SW17 1. 5033 Church of St Mary (Summers Town) TQ 2671 17/1 II 2. 1903 by Godfrey Pinkerton. The massing is Gothic with gable ends to nave, chancel and those alternate bays of the aisles which are arranged transeptally. The nave is fronted by a narthex. The south tower to the chancel, which houses the organ loft, remains incomplete with a square hipped roof. The building is of red brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. The window tracery and other detailing is non-traditional. The narthex comprises 3 advanced bays, the centre saucer-domed and segmental on plan, the outer ones gabled. They flank twin double doors recessed beneath cambered-arch heads. A stone bandcourse and coping frame a vertical alternation of stone bands and brick panels across the upper facade. This breaks round the angles to the parapets of the non-transeptal aisle bays. The nave gable is pierced by a triplet of lancets, their blind round-arched heads linked by a stone band. The transeptal aisle-bays have large round-arched windows and the tower a round-arched door surround. In the interior the transeptal aisle bays have barrel vaults, the alternate bays double arches opening to the nave and with granite piers. The carving, including font and cover, was by Lawrence A Turner, the east window by Morris and Company 1928, using designs by Burne-Jones.

Listing NGR: TQ2640871932

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26408 71932

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065538 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 01:00:52.

End of official listing