This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1066653



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 210162

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 2880 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER HERTFORD STREET W1 80/99 14.1.70 No 11 GV II* Terraced town house. c.1770-71 as part of the development of the south side of Hertford Street by the elder Henry Holland (builder, of Fulham) with his son, in partnership with John Eldridge - interior almost certainly by the plasterer Francis Engleheart as Holland's lessee. Brown brick, rusticated stucco ground floor, slate roof. 3 storeys and attic storey (probably added early C19) with dormered mansard, on basement. 3 windows wide. Entrance to left with panelled door and side lights under segmental fanlight. Recessed sashes, no glazing bars, under flat gauged arches, the stucco rustication struck to arches of ground floor windows and doorway. Moulded stone cornice over 2nd floor and attic parapet with coping. Cast iron balcony across 1st floor added early to mid C19. Cast iron area railings. Interior retains fine original decoration to principal reception rooms, despite alterations to rear and to hall with the mid to later C19 stone staircase with cast iron balustrade; on the ground floor the hall retains good neo-classical plasterwork frieze and similar fine plasterwork ceiling to front room with frieze and cornice, all no doubt by Engleheart; the 1st floor salon or drawing room remains virtually unaltered with fine ornate plasterwork ceiling by Engleheart, decorated window frames and shutters, enriched head to doorway and fine stone chimney piece of c.1770; the top of the stairwell retains original plasterwork frieze, etc. The house was the residence of the 4th Earl of Sandwich (notoriously 1st Lord of the Admiralty under Lord North) from 1782 to his death in 1792.

Listing NGR: TQ2863080146

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28630 80146


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:48:45.

End of official listing