Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067001.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:28:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 71177 77309


HASELBECH COTTESBROOKE ROAD SP77NW (East side) 6/41 Church of St. Michael 02/11/54

- II*

Church. C13 and C14. North chapel 1872 by A. Salvin. Chancel restored by W. Slater 1859-60 and Butler 1881. Regular coursed lias, limestone and lias ashlar with slate, lead and aluminium roofs. Aisled nave chancel and west tower. Chancel of ashlar has one 2-light window with trefoiled tracery in French Gothic style. Similar 3-light east window. Gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets and finial. South vestry projection in similar style has 3-light south window with Gothic decoration above. Figure of St. Michael above south east entrance has similar decoration. North chapel, rusticated lias with ashlar dressings; 3-light north window and 2 east lancets. Shallow gabled roof with parapet and finial. South aisle of 2-window range of 3-light square headed windows, 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. C14, gabled porch to left has double chamfered arch; ashlar gable parapets and finial. North aisle of 2-window range of 2-light square headed windows with door to right and 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square headed Perpendicular windows; shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapet. West tower, Perpendicular of 4 stages: base of regular coursed lias; upper part of limestone ashlar. West door has 2-light window above. Fourth stage has pairs of 2-light bell chamber openings with an ogee super arch to each face. Quatrefoil frieze above with castellated parapet and pinnacle stumps. Interior: Chancel, blank arcading to left and right of altar, French Gothic decoration around the windows and to roof corbels. 3-bay nave arcade of double chamfered pointed arches with quatrefoil piers that to north is C13 and to south C14. Double chamfered tower arch. C19 roofs. Stained glass: 3 windows in north chapel painted by Viscountess Hilton c.1872. East window by Alan Younger 1966. Chancel screen. Wrought iron C18 probably reset. Tower screen; continental Gothic dated 1842. Pulpit: Jacobean with decorated panels; panelled back and tester. Monuments: North aisle, George Ashby died 1802; marble tablet by Benjamin Button. Similar tablet to William Wykes died 1747. Several other C19 tablets. South aisle, large tablet to Pell family 1907 with ironwork incorporating spiders webb. Painted tablet of St. George to right commemorates Charles Bower Ismay. 3 bays of pews east of nave probably C15. Font probably C13 on C19 base. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.251).

Listing NGR: SP7117777309


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 251


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12911/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].