THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067073

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, 1,2,3,4 AND 5, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 13:29:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, 1,2,3,4 AND 5, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Guilsborough

National Grid Reference: SP 67615 72961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP76SE GUILSBOROUGH HIGH STREET (East side) 3/160 Nos.1,2,3,4 and 5 (The Old 02/11/54 Grammar School)

- II

School now 5 houses. c.1688, founded by John Langham of Cottesbrooke. Lias ashlar with stone slate roof. Main block of south facade originally school room and dormitory of 2 storeys with attic and cellar. 4-window range the left hand bay breaking forward to form a gabled two storey porch with mezzanine and attic has semi circular arched entrance with oval window returns. C19 plank door with stop hinges and stone flight below. 3-light stone mullioned windows with cross trasomes and C20 diamond leaded panes. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Brick stacks at ends. Sundial above entrance dated 1821 flanked by single light mezzanine winders. Similar late C17 masters house to left of entrance of single storey with attic of 3-window range with similar stone mullions. Ashlar gable parapet and kneelers, central brick stack. Ashlar string course between ground and first floor throughout. Similar flanking wings to rear with central projecting wing has mainly C20 casement windows. Interior: C20 remodelling to form 5 houses. Some re-set chamfered fireplace lintels. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.243).

Listing NGR: SP6761572961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360149

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 243

End of official listing