Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067117

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: 147, LICHFIELD ROAD


Ordnance survey map of 147, LICHFIELD ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 02:21:10.


Statutory Address: 147, LICHFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 11628 97764


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/10011 Number 147


House. C16 or C17, altered and added to in the mid C19, to form the South Lodge of Four Oaks Hall, and in the C20. Brick, now painted, stone, timber-framing, roof of tiles. Two storeys, scattered fenestration. Gabled porch to flat-arched entrance on cast front; single-storey hipped and canted bay windows to either side, two flat-arched windows to first floor with a square heraldic panel between, under a sequence of three gables with decorative barge--boards and finials, the central gable larger than its neighbours; one flat-arched, two-light window, possibly of stone, to the left of the first floor, now blocked up- massive external stack to left-hand return; the west front has two gabled cross-wings, the northernmost and the cross-wing running of it to the north faced with weather-boarding on the upper storey; patterns of fish-scale tiles to the roof; decorative ridge tiles; end stacks with pairs of polygonal chimneys. The early history of the house is reflected in the timber-framing in the south wall of the present staircase hall, visible on the ground and first floors from the staircase hall, and on the fast floor from the south-cast bedroom; some framing is also visible on the south gable end, at the south end of the house there is an inglenook, which was uncovered and reconstructed c.1926, and a massive external stack with several offsets. The house seems to have been extended northwards in the mid C19 to form the lodge; the hipped addition which fills the re-entrant angle between the main building and the south-east face of the stack may be of this date, there are two cross-wings on the west side, the southernmost possible of late C19 or early C20 date, the other may be of later date, and a cross-wing which runs northwards off It is certainly later. INTERIOR: The principal features of interest in the interior are the timber-framing (see above) and the inglenook reconstructed by the architect WJ Davis c. 1926; a number of rooms have fireplaces of early C20 date.

Listing NGR: SP1162897764


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473082

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing