This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1067141



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Plymouth

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473141

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SX4853NW THE BARBICAN 740-1/67/869 Royal Citadel: Church of St Catherine


Church (Royal Chapel) at fort. 1667-1688 on site of C14 chapel, enlarged and partly rebuilt in 1845, the E wall of the chancel rebuilt following damage in World War II and the chancel renovated. Plymouth limestone rubble and Plymouth limestone brought to course for the 1845 parts; dry slate roofs with coped gables. STYLE: Early Gothic style detail. PLAN: cruciform plan with the main roof running north-south plus porches in the NW and SW angles and an organ loft in the SE angle; galleries to each arm of the cross except the chancel. EXTERIOR: pointed arched windows, the larger windows lighting the sides of the nave, chancel and transepts with Y tracery and there are triple lancets to light the gallery at the N and S ends. Principal N doorway has a moulded round arch and a square hoodmould; other doorways have pointed arches; original 1845 doors. INTERIOR: has its 1845 plastered ceiling divided into panels with moulded ribs and cornices, except for the chancel ceiling which has painted decoration; original galleries with wrought-iron balustrades over moulded entablature carried on quatrefoil-section cast-iron paired stanchions. FITTINGS: painted stone octagonal font with moulded base and cornices and blind Gothic arcading; possibly original loose pews with railed backs to galleries. Other fittings are late C19 including octagonal pulpit with blind Gothic tracery and pews with shaped ends. MONUMENTS: many monuments to the soldiers of the fort including 2 Tudor Gothic style marble monuments flanking the E end to N and S walls to Patrick Doull Calder, Royal Engineers, died 1857 aged 70, and to William Cuthbert Elphinstone Holloway C B, Colonel Commanding Royal Engineer W Dist, died in the Citadel, 4th September 1850, who served in the Peninsular campaigns of 1810, 1811 and 1812. One of the buildings associated with this outstanding C17 fort, designed by Sir Bernard de Gomme.

Listing NGR: SX4806753752

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 48067 53752


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 03:50:12.

End of official listing