CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067167

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH, TATTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:50:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH, TATTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 89609 90315

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TATTON STREET

SJ 89 SE, SP/39 0/39

CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH

II

Roman Catholic church. 1861-2 by Matthew Ellison Hadfield of Sheffield, architect, Messrs J Robinson of Hyde, Cheshire, builders. Hammer-dressed Yorkshire grit-stone, Hollington stone dressings, slate roofs. Basilican plan: nave and clerestory, three sided apse, aisles and south side base of tower, 2-storey sacristy. Nave and apse under one roof pitch. Simplified High Victorian gothic, early decorated details "of an English type" (Builder). Liturgical west front has two lancets flanking ogee headed door under pitched gable with crockets. Two 3-light geometric tracery windows above, cinquefoil roundel in gable. 3-light tracery clerestory and apse windows, segmental tracery aisle liturgical east windows. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave arcades, Derbyshire marble bases, Yorkshire stone shafts and capitals, simplified chamfered arches. Arched braced panelled nave roof. Chancel arch reduced to doubled arched braces with quatrefoil panelling, set on stone corbel. Exposed raftered aisle roofs. Original built-in confessionals extended through aisle walls under traceried windows. West gallery. High altar and chancel furniture as memorial to 1914-1918 war dead. East window, stained, 1882. Design heavily influenced by Hadfield's former partner George Goldie and by the mid-century re- action against A W N Pugin's planning and liturgical principles: "arrange(d).. so that the greatest possible space shall be given up for the use of the congregat- ion with the facility for seeing and hearing and abundance of light": Builder, March 30, 1862, p 216. Centenary Record, Diocese of Shrewsbury, 1851-1951, (1951, pp 91-92.

Listing NGR: SJ8960990315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210892

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Centenary Record Diocese of Shrewsbury 1851-1951, (1951), 91-92
'The Builder' in 30 March, (1862), 216

End of official listing