CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067273

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DAISY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 05:31:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DAISY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Westhoughton

National Grid Reference: SD 65771 04347

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building:-

WEST HOUGHTON ST JAMES STREET SD 60 SE (east side) Daisy Hill

12/87 Church of St James

- II

shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star) and the entry amended to read:-

SD 60 SE WEST HOUGHTON DAISY HILL (east side)

12/87 Church of St James

- 19.8.86 II*

------------------------------------ 12/87 WESTHOUGHTON ST. JAMES STREET SD 60 SE (east side) Daisy Hill

12/87 Church of St. James - - II

Church. 1879-81. By Paley and Austin. Brick and terracotta with slate roof. Nave, chancel, north transept and vestry and south bell turret. Nave of 3 irregular bays has sill course and top cornice and parapet; coped gables. Windows have Perpendicular tracery of 3 lights, the western bay on north side has no window, the eastern bay on south side has paired 2-light windows; weathered buttresses. Gabled north porch; pointed entrance with carved spandrels, gable has cusped-arched panelling. West end has 5-light window with moulded arch in square architrave with blind tracery spandrels. Transept has hipped roof, 3-light window and projecting entrance under hipped roof. Organ loft has gable-end straight-headed tracery window of 2 lights with transom. Gabled vestry has 2-light segmental-headed east window, straight-headed window and entrance to north. Chancel has 2 deep, gabled buttresses flanking segmental- headed east window of 6 lights over later lean-to shed; 4- light segmental-headed window to north and south. bell turret breaks forward. Pointed entrance and round-headed lights to windows to lowest stage. 2nd stage has 2-light traceried window to left of stair lights. Top stage has flat gabled buttresses and 2 open traceried bell openings and traceried gable ends; top gabled bell opening has weather cock. Interior: Nave has king post trusses and boarded roof. Wainscotting and sill course. Contemporary light fittings. Chancel arch on responds; transept arch with no capitals. Timber pulpit on stone base has frieze of lights with rectangular pierced panels above. Chancel has segmental-pointed timber tunnel vault. 2-bay arcade to organ loft. Windows have inner mullions. High reredos with linen -fold panelling and cusped panelling, high cupboard and cresting, the altar moved forward. Sedilia and piscina with traceried heads. Timber organ case. East window by Morris and Co., 1897-8; Epiphany and Saints, "One of their (Paley and Austin's) most masterly performances", N. Pevsner "Buildings of England: South Lancashire", p.104.

Listing NGR: SD6577104347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210567

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969), 104

End of official listing