This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SITTINGBOURNE ADULT STUDIES COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SITTINGBOURNE ADULT STUDIES COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1067533

Location

SITTINGBOURNE ADULT STUDIES COLLEGE, RIDDLES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175812

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5282 SITTINGBOURNE RIDDLES ROAD TQ 86 SE 8/170 Sittingbourne Adult Studies College II

School and integral headmaster's house, in use as an adult studies establishment. Built in 1878 as Borden Grammar School. Stock brick with limestone dressings. Red clay plain tile roof with moulded ridge tiles and stone coped gable ends with finials. The tall brick shafts of the chimney-stacks have stone cornices with gargoyle-like features at the corners. Plan: Large school and integral headmaster's house in Gothic style. The main central range contains a hall rising through 2 storeys with dormitories in the attic above which continue over the 2 storey range to the left (north west) and over the wing to the rear left. There are single storey school reoms projecting to the left at the front in staggered ranges. At the right hand (south east) end a cross-wing contains the headmaster's house at the front and a service range at the back which encloses a small back yard. In circa mid to late C20 a single storey extension was built infilling the space between the 2 rear wings. Exterior: Asymmetrical south west front of 3 storeys, 1 and 2 storeys and attic and single storeyed bands of stone at window sill and impost levels. Former headmaster's house on the right is a 3 storey projecting gable-ended wing with grouped lancet windows with cusped heads under hoodmoulds, the second floor window in the gable has plate tracery with trefoil piercing under a pointed arch. On the ground floor a single storey bay with 5 cusped lancets between a buttress on the right and an integral porch on the left, its trefoil-headed doorway having carved spandrels. Set back to the left of the headmaster's house the main range of 4:3:4 bays, the gabled centre is advanced slightly and has large 3 and 5-light mullion-transom windows rising through 2 storeys with cusp- headed lights and depressed 2-centred arch hoodmoulds. In the gable a clock within a rose window (maker Gillett and Bland of Croydon 1878). To the left and right of the centre there are Gothic windows, 1-light on the ground floor, 2-light on the first floor and smaller attic windows above continuing across below the central gable. At left and right ends of main range gabled portals with double chamfered 2-centred arches. The central gable is flanked by 2 tall stacks and gabled wooden ventilators in the roof. Projecting on the left,school rooms in single storey staggered ranges with gable ends facing the front each with a 2-centred arch tympanum over the end window. The rear (north east) has projecting gable-ended wings to left and right and at centre large 3 and 5-light windows and gabled ventilators in the roof above with a gabled bellcote above them at the centre. Between the 2 rear wings the space has been infilled with a C20 single storey extension. Interior: Plain institutional character with some alterations for its various uses since it ceased to be a school but the large central hall has 2 lateral fireplaces (curiously situated under the large windows) of Gothic design each with a frieze of quatrefoils containing initials WB (William Barrow) and cast-iron grate with a blue and white tile surround. In the dormitories the roof is partly exposed showing the trusses braced with iron tie-rods. History: The school was built in 1878 as Borden Grammar School for boys with money from the 'Barrow Charity'. William Barrow died in 1707 leaving an estate of £12,000 to be distributed among the poor of Bowden, a village near Sittingbourne. In circa 1930 it was occupied by the Kent Farm Institute until the 1960s when it was used for teacher training and in 1979 it became the Sittingbourne Adult Studies College.

Listing NGR: TQ8946463004

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 89464 63004

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067533 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 04:21:48.

End of official listing