CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067622.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:56:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Daventry (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 66721 65219
SP6665 BRINGTON GREAT BRINGTON
20/59 Church of St. Mary 02/11/54 4 - I
Church. Late C13 to C19. Coursed squared lias with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Chancel and north chapel, largely rebuilt for John Spencer 1522 and restored by Blore 1846. South side, three 3-light Perpendicular windows, chancel and north chapel of equal length with identical Perpendicular, 5-light east windows with 4-centred heads. North chapel has polygonal projection with single-light windows, 1846 by Rev. H. Rose. Ashlar parapet and shallow gabled roofs to both chapels, not visible. South aisle, mid C14, three 3-light windows with reticulated tracery similar west window, ashlar parapet, single pitched roof. Arched and gabled tomb recess between second and third window with dog-tooth moulding. Gabled porch datestone 1832 by Blore, between first and second windows. Gabled buttresses at corners with gargoyles. North aisle similar to south with 6-panelled north door. Nave clerestory of 6-window range on south and 3-window range on north, having 3-light windows with square heads. Several dated rainwater heads 1794 and 1827. West tower: 3 stages with string course. 2-stage angle buttresses, west door with 4-centred head: tall C14 three light windows immediately above with panel tracery. Plain 2-light windows to each face of third stage. Castellated parapet with corbelled table. Interior: 6-bay C14 arcade with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches: South taller with concave sides to piers, stained glass: east window by Morris and Co. 1912. South window of chancel has remains of glass c1532. North chapel C19 glass by Ward. Pews c.1846 with poppy heads incorporating C15 work, font, circular, of Purbeck marble, C13 base. Monuments: Inscribed tablets to Robert Washington 1622 and Laurence Washington 1616 in nave and chancel respectively. Spencer monuments in north chapel: south east of chapel Sir John Spencer died 1522 and wife: effigies on tomb chest beneath canopy decorated with shields, quatrefoils and an angel. Sir John Spencer died 1586 and wife, west of previous: by Jasper Hollemans. Recumbent effigies on tomb chest and round arch, decorated with shields and obelisks with pediment over. Robert first Baron Spencer and wife errected 1599 by Hollemans: west of the previous. Effigies on painted sarcophagus, he in armour, she with heraldic coverlet. Depressed arch over supported on Corinthian columns. Obelisks and pendants above. Sir William Spencer died 1532 below east window, plain tomb chest with quatrefoils. Sir John Spencer died 1599 and wife, north east corner, by Hollemans; effigies under canopy, decorated with obelisks and strapwork, supported by black columns with corinthian capitals. William Lord Spencer, erected 1638 by Nicholas Stone, effigies on tomb chest with canopy over in black and white marble. Sir Edward Spencer 1655; south-east corner by John Stone, demi-figure rising from urn. John Spencer 1783, by Nollekens, west of bay window is white marble tablet, female figure with male profile in clouds. Other C19 monuments, coronets and hatchments relating to the Spencer family. The whole chapel is enclosed by railing with spikes. The Spencer chapel is scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.229)
Listing NGR: SP6672165219
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 229
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing