TRINGFORD PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067754
Date first listed:
29-May-1986
Statutory Address:
TRINGFORD PUMPING STATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINGFORD PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:24:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRINGFORD PUMPING STATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Tring Rural
National Grid Reference:
SP 91797 12971

Details

TRING RURAL GRAND UNION CANAL - SP 91 SW WENDOVER ARM (North side) Little Tring 4/62 - Tringford Pumping Station GV II

Water pumping station to fill Tring summit level of canal from reservoirs. Erected 1816-17 at 'spot determined by Mr Telford', with Boulton and Watt steam engine (date 1803 on C20 plaque incorrect) as second pumping station on Wendover feeder arm. Extended 1836-8 when station adapted as single centralised pumping station with 2nd steam engine ('York' engine) added, removed 1913, boiler house on N side mid C19, diesel engine house in NE angle dated '1911', beam engine removed and engine house reduced in height 1927 (plaque over door '1803/1927'). Red brick original engine-and-pumphouse, brown brick extensions, uniform sandstone dressings added to existing round headed windows, and slated pitched roofs. A long narrow brick pumphouse parallel with the canal and with outflow ponds between. 4 round-headed large windows with keystones and impost blocks. Still in use with long headings from reservoirs concentrating on 3 deep brick wells in the pumphouse. Water now pumped by electric pumps up to level of canal arm which flows into the Marsworth end of the summit level. Wider and lower Boiler House extends along much of N side of pumphouse. Brown brick with blue brick offset to plinth and segmental arches to openings. Widespan C19 king-post timber trusses spanning from corbels on rear wall of pumphouse to piers in N wall. Designed for 2 boilers. Underfloor air intakes from small round headed external opening low down in middle of N wall there 22 1/2 inches thick. 2 high double doors with 2 large windows with cast iron framed small-pane frames in W gable end. Toothed brick band in corbelled verge. 5 bays panelled N side with 2 similar windows. Yellow brick diesel engine house with red brick dressings and canted corner, in the NE angle of the other buildings. 2 tall round headed windows and door. Small panes and windows at ground level. Interior in glazed brick with dado and raised platform formerly supporting 100hp and 50hp diesel engines. Pumphouse entered by round headed double doorway in N side of part projecting to W of boiler house. 27" thick side-walls and 5ft thick crosswall built to support the 24ft long cast iron beam of the pumping engine. Photographs and a plaque record this in use and during removal. Erected 1817-8 it had a 49 1/2 inch diameter cylinder and a 8ft stroke. The doorway is flanked by 2 tall Tuscan cast iron columns from the engine frame topped by balls from the superstructure. An ornamental cast iron trestle from the valve assembly is built into the apex of the W gable. An earlier pumping station at Whitehouses (1802) pumped from Wilstone No. 1 Reservoir but was superceded by Tringford pumping station and was subsequently demolished. Wilstone Reservoir was heightened in 1811 and 1827 and extended in 1835 (No. 2) and 1839 (No. 3) by which time it had been supplemented by Marsworth Reservoir (1806), Tringford Reservoir (1814), and Startops End Reservoir (1815). They supply the summit level of the canal main line, opened in 1799 as the Grand Junction Canal. The Wendover Arm opened in the same year, was closed to commercial traffic in 1896 and a long stretch beyond the pumping station has been filled in. (D.G.McGavey Grand Union Canal: The History of Tringford Pumping Station 1817-1945 1946, typed m.s.in Local History Library, County Hall, Hertford: Branch Johnson(1970)118).

Listing NGR: SP9179712971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355766
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 118
McGavey, DG , Grand Union Canal The History of Tringford Pumping Station 1817-1945, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14063/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].