This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PAYNES WHARF

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PAYNES WHARF

List entry Number: 1067833

Location

PAYNES WHARF, BORTHWICK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



786/0/10154 BORTHWICK STREET 17-OCT-02 Deptford (North side) Payne's Wharf

GV II



Marine boiler factory, currently used for paper storage. Front part of c.1860 in Italianate style, rear part probably 1880s, and is shown on Stanford's map of 1891. Built for J Penn and Sons marine engineers. Front part of stock brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. River front has moulded cornice and six giant arches with rusticated keystones, moulded impost blocks and pilasters. The arches are currently boarded up but mid C20 photographs show wooden Diocletian windows above the impost blocks and brick lower sections with metal C20 shutter-fronted openings. Side elevation has two bays with cornice, pilaster and imposts block. Two cambered openings on two floors but all are blocked except for the first floor left opening with later C19 metal-framed casement. Remainder of the building also in stock brick but English bond. Side elevation of two storeys, fifteen windows, metal casements, ground floor openings blocked. The rear elevation has four painted gables with eight cambered casements and a left side hoist flanked by side windows to the first floor and there are large blocked openings to the ground floor. HISTORY: The engine of the world's first ironclad HMS Warrior was fitted here and also the engines of the early Dreadnought battleships. Production ceased in 1911.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ3724078134

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 08:10:29.

End of official listing