THE WHARRIE CABMANS SHELTER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067834

Date first listed: 24-Oct-2002

Statutory Address: THE WHARRIE CABMANS SHELTER, ROSSLYN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHARRIE CABMANS SHELTER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 21:22:10.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHARRIE CABMANS SHELTER, ROSSLYN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27093 85366

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

798-1/0/10194 ROSSLYN HILL 24-OCT-02 The Wharrie Cabman's Shelter

GV II

The Wharrie Cabman's Shelter

Cabman's shelter. 1935 by Elisabeth Scott of Scott, Chesterton and Shepherd. Elm boarding on cedar frame, standing on concrete legs. Metal windows. Single storey kiosk on Coffee-stall with shelter to right. Deep eaves with decorative panels underneath. Mosaic panel designed by John Cooper set into floor in front of counter dated April 1935 and inscribed THE WHARRIE SHELTER, depicting taxi-related objects in a Cubist-influenced composition. HISTORY: this kiosk was donated by Mary Wharrie, daughter of Sir Henry Harben, first Mayor of Hampstead. It replaced an earlier structure on this prominent site, which had been given to the Borough of Hampstead by the Harbens. It is a very unusual structure, designed in a Modern Movement vein, with a mosaic of high quality. The paintwork to doors and window frames was originally painted in red and yellow. Scott (1898-1972) had gained her reputation through winning the 1928 competition for the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon. SOURCES: The Architect and Building news, 17th May 1935, 170 & 190-91; Hampstead & Highgate Express, 22 November 1996.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489820

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect and Building News' in 17 May, (1935), 170 190-1
'Hampstead and Highgate Express' in 22 November 1996, ()

End of official listing