This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1067970



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Tameside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212704

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1478/4/50 St Anne's Rectory 20.6.77 G.V. II*

Rectory. 1882. J.M. and H. Taylor. Brick with clay tile roof. Irregular 2 and 3-storey building in a free Gothic style with gabled crosswings flanking a central section with a half-octagonal stair tower in the left angle. Ground and first floor bands. Between the crosswings is an open porch in the right angle with hipped roof. 6-light mullion and transom stair window on the first floor. Gabled oriel window to left crosswing rising from a weathered buttress flanked by 2 segmental-headed recesses. A sash window in the right crosswing has a carved tympanum panel below a relieving arch. Windows are generally 4-pane sashes. Banded fishscale roof tiles. Elaborate brick chimney stacks and a conical stair tower roof (echoing that of the church) add to the already interesting skyline.

The interior is of equal variety and quality. Pitch pine panelling, doors, dado rails and fitted furniture remain in most of the principal rooms. Octagonal dining room with cast-iron corner fireplace which has Delft tiles and panelled overmantel with stained glass window. Similar fireplace and overmantel in the study, which also has fitted furniture and a small stone window above with stained and patterned glass. An inglenook fireplace formerly existed in the main reception room but has been removed. Pitch pine staircase leading to a landing from which a spiral stair gives access to the top storey. Landing arcade supported on circular pier. The large staircase window has stained and painted glass dated 1882. Stained and painted glass panels in some other windows.

The rectory is not only of fine quality in itself but forms an outstanding group with the adjacent Church of St Anne, (qv), of similar date and by the same architects.

Listing NGR: SJ9341195603

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 93411 95603


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:49:13.

End of official listing