This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HUNTINGFIELD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HUNTINGFIELD

List entry Number: 1069233

Location

HUNTINGFIELD, BACK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eastling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176407

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 95 NE EASTLING BACK LANE (north side)

4/3 Huntingfield

24.1.67 II

Manor house, now house. C16, C18 and early C19. Timber framed and structural red brick part clad with buff coloured mathematical tiles, with plain tiled roofs. Range of four framed bays with 2 C18 service wings added to rear, and early C19 wing added to east end, becoming the new entrance front. Two storeys and hipped roof with stacks to rear left and right. Regular fenestration of 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor and 4 on ground floor, all with gauged heads. Central door of 6 moulded and fielded panels in heavily moulded and panelled door surround with semi-circular fanlight. Right return: originally the main front, now side front, clad with buff mathematical tiles, with 6 glazing bar sashes on first floor, 5 on ground floor with half-glazed door. Interior: C16 range with heavy frame visible, and moulded beams. Clasped purlin roof with queen posts and wind braces. Refined early C19 interiors in entrance range, with marble fire surrounds and moulded corridor arches. Contemporary four flight open well staircase with ramped handrail and unmoulded balusters. Birth place and early home of Edward Hasted, F.R.S., F.S.A. (1732-1812), historian of Kent, who mentions surrounding foundations of flint and stone belonging to lost chapel and mill, and gives full manorial history (see Hasted, vol. VI, pp 430-431). The estate was in the late C18 linked with Belmont, where buff-coloured mathematical tiling is a major feature.

Listing NGR: TQ9714755020

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801), 430-431

National Grid Reference: TQ 97147 55020

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2018 at 05:05:49.

End of official listing