This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1069782

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, NORTHBOURNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Mongeham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Feb-1974

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 177235

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT MONGEHAM

860/6/150 NORTHBOURNE ROAD 01-JUN-49 Church of St Martin (Formerly listed as: NORTHBOURNE ROAD CHURCH OF ST MARTIN) (Formerly listed as: CHURCH HILL CHURCH OF ST MARTIN)

II*



Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, much restored by William Butterfield in 1851. Built of flint with stone quoins and dressings and plaintiled roofs. Nave with north and south aisles and clerestorey, chancel with chapels, and west tower. Four stage Perpendicular West tower with buttresses and crenellated parapet. Norman window to west half of north chapel shows early origin of church but aisled nave and chancel with chapels are early C13 restored circa 1851 with south aisle rebuilt by Butterfield. C14 nave clerestorey. North Porch with tiled roof. Some pre-Butterfield lancets in south chapel. Traceried windows and some double lancets. Chancel and north chapel have east windows of 1861. INTERIOR: Three bay arcades with rectangular piers and pointed arches both slightly chamfered. Restored Crown post roof. Roof has panels with quatrefoil carving. Perpendicular tower screen. C13 piscina and 2 sedilia. Jacobean wall monument to Edward Crayford Esq, d.1615. Pulpit of 1851, probably by Butterfield. Chancel furnishings also Butterfield.

[Buildings of England "North East and East Kent" ps 338-339.]









Listing NGR: TR3461951504

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Kent III, (1983), 338-9

National Grid Reference: TR 34619 51504

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 10:49:48.

End of official listing