CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1069988
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:31:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Shepherdswell with Coldred
National Grid Reference:
TR 27440 47594

Details

TR 24 NE 2/94

SHEPERDSWELL AND COLDRED CHURCH ROAD (west side) Church of St. Pancras

22.8.62

GV I Parish Church. Saxon, altered C11, with some C14 and C15 fenestration. South porch of 1890. Restored 1866, 1890 and 1923. Chancel south and east walls and nave north wall rendered, elsewhere built of coursed flint, sometimes laid herring-bone fashion. Banded tiled roof. Chancel and nave with north vestry, south porch and western bellcote.

Saxon evidence includes single splayed windows with heads moulded from single stone in west wall, with small roundel over, and nave and chancel north walls, and flint quoins, in part replaced by ashlar blocks. Two C14 window nave and C15 two light chancel south wall. C19 decorated style east window. South porch dated 1890, arcaded wooden structure on flint base, with simple chamfered C14 doorway, (with original door?) with fragment of earlier zig-zag moulding over. North vestry of 1890, with double lancet, chimney and reset medieval dedication cross. West bell turret originally C14, rebuilt early C20.

Interior: nave with roof of three simple crown posts; chancel with C19 trussed rafter roof. Curious rectangular opening above north door into vestry. Chancel stepped in, no arch. East window reveal with chamfered elliptical head and brought all way down to floor, with inserted C19 window. Fittings: aumbrey in nave north wall, otherwise all C19, with simple twisted baluster altar rail with fleur-de-lys brackets, two cast iron lamp brackets and two wrought iron candle brackets in chancel, bench piers, pulpit and octagonal font, all C19. C14 bell in chancel removed 1939 from bellcote. Brass inscription on chancel south wall to William Fyntch, Gent. d.1615. Monument to Edward Pettit, Vicar of Sheperdswell and Coldred (a combined living from 1584 to 1910). Oval wall plaque within bolection moulded panel with broken pediment and cartouche over, and winged death's head and cartouches on apron. The only other dedication to St. Pancras in Kent of six in the whole country) is in the very early Saxon Church of St. Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury.

Coldred Church stands within an earthwork of indeterminate, but possibly Roman date.

Listing NGR: TR2736947546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178623
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 277-8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08996/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. J. Davies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].