This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OXNEY COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OXNEY COURT

List entry Number: 1070031

Location

OXNEY COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Margaret's At Cliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178514

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 34 NE ST MARGARET AT CLIFFE OXNEY

3/75 Oxney Court

II

House, now ruinous. Early C16, remodelled 1820-27 for John May possibly by Robert Lugar. Red brick in 'Minster Bond,' rendered on main elevations, with chalk block and flint exposed within building. The building is roofless, although the walls stand to full height. Two storeys with battlements, with battlemented tower projecting at end right, and octagonal tower at end left, with circular stair turret, and projecting battlemented porch with side turrets. Irregular fenestration of 6 label-headed mullioned lights on each floor (some missing), with Gothick pointed lights in towers. Segmental hooded arched openings to tower/porch with coat of arms over. Two storey canted bay on left return. Interior: gutted, but with structural remains of C16, cellars, interior walls and main exterior walls. Cast iron spiral stair and some iron fireplaces. The house was originally a small manor house of the de Crioll family, enlarged by John Sedley, auditor to Henry VII. First Gothicised 1764 for the Jeken family, the house was bought and remodelled c.1820-27 by John May, banker and solicitor of Deal. Burnt when occupied by the army in World War One, it has remained ruinous since. About ΒΌ mile north east are the ruins of Oxney church, the only other building of note in the ancient parish of Oxney. (See Hasted, IX, p.409 ff : see also Coast & Country June 1981, p.20 ff; see also Bygone Kent, May 1983, p.296 ff).

Listing NGR: TR3553444945

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1797), 409
'Bygone Kent' in May, (1983), 296
'Coast and Country' in June, (1981), 20

National Grid Reference: TR 35289 46571

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070031 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 03:56:12.

End of official listing