CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1070137

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:01:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Staple

National Grid Reference: TR 26936 56641

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 25 NE STAPLE THE STREET

(North Side) 5/236 Church of St. James 11.10.63 GV I

Parish Church. C12 origins, C14 fenestration, restored by Street 1868-9. Flint with plain tiled roofs. Chancel and nave in one build, north aisle to nave, north chapel to chancel, south porch and west tower. Two stage tower with offset clasping buttresses, string course and battlements. Lancet windows in upper stage, moulded western doorway with attached shafts. Nave and chancel with 5 offset buttresses, largely C19, and C19 south porch, with C16 six panelled and ribbed door. Chancel east window C.1300, 5 cinquefoiled lights under hood mould, 1 small lancet to chancel south wall, C14 and C15 style windows elsewhere, as much Street's restorations as original. Large brick buttress between nave and tower to north west. Interior: unmoulded pointed tower arch with scalloped wall brackets set in wall to left and right. North arcade of 3 bays, C15, with double chamfered arches, piers with clustered shafts, and responds with attached shafts. Nave and chancel roof in one build, 6 crown posts in nave and 2 in chancel on moulded knee-braces. North aisle with lean-to roof on crenellated wall plate and moulded cross-beams. Single arch with double chamfer from chancel to north chapel, with C19 side doorway. Braced rafter roof in north chapel. Fittings: trecusped piscina and small trecusped aumbry on north wall in chancel. C16 screen from north aisle to chapel, 4 bays with solid lower panels on either side of central restored door. Crenellated top beam. C15 font on double stepped base, octagonal bowl and stem, the bowl decorated with symbols of 4 evangelists alternating with demi-angels, pilgrim and the Trinity. Stem with lions and wild men. Ornate chandelier of brass and possibly wood in tower. Monuments: in the chapel a good series. Identical pair of tablets to John Lynch d.1732, with white plaque and grey marble surround, fluted Doric pilasters with frieze and open pediment with achievement over. Oval wall tablets to Lynch family with moulded surrounds and acanthus motifs, and to John Squire, d.1661. John Clarke, 1691, wall tablet with draped and foliated scrolled sides, egg and tongue frieze and cornice and scrolled base with crossed olive sprigs. William Lynch, d.1785. Wall plaque on brackets with coat of arms as base. Ribboned portrait medallion, on base decorated with star and ribbon of Order of Bath. In the north aisle, large white marble wall plaque to Gratianus Lynch, d.1674, with architectural surround, black marble Ionic columns and foliated scrolls with open segmental pediment and achievement, all on enriched bracketed base. Tablets with draped urns, to Reverend William Tatton, d.1782, and Terry Marsh, d.1789, both by Longley of Canterbury. Brass: in north chapel, about 2 foot high brass of a civilian, early C16. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 466).

Listing NGR: TR2673656692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178268

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 466

End of official listing