CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071877

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT, NETHER KELLET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 18:55:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. CUTHBERT, NETHER KELLET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Over Kellet

National Grid Reference: SD 52259 69550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 56 NW OVER KELLET NETHER KELLET ROAD

7/160 Church of St. Cuthbert 4. 10. 1967 II*

Church, C16th with early C13th remains. Restored 1863/4, and 1909, when the eastern bay was rebuilt. Pebbledashed rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Church consists of a nave and chancel under one roof, north and south aisles, a porch on the north side at the east end of the nave, and a west tower. The vestry is in the angle between the tower and the north aisle. The C16th windows are mullioned with double chamfers and round heads to the lights. The north aisle windows are of 3 lights, with a 2-light window to the vestry. The south aisle wall is of 4 bays with 2-light chamfered windows with flush chamfered mullions and round heads. The porch is C19th, with a 4-centred arched head to the inner door. The tower has diagonal buttresses and a battlemented parapet. In the west wall is a blocked doorway with double hollow chamfer, 2-centred head and hood mould. Above is a 3-light C16th window with hood mould. Bell openings are all C16th, of 3 lights. The east window is of 3 cusped lights with perpendicular tracery above. Nave has 4-bay arcade with two chamfered orders and octagonal piers. The western arch and pier of the south aisle, together with the respond, and the western respond of the north aisle, are probably early C13th: the arch is unmoulded and the pier of round section. The timber roof is open, with the purlins and common rafters visible in both the nave and aisles. All trusses have collars and tie beams except trusses 1 and 2 from the west which only have collars. Trusses 7 and 8, at the east end, have curved principals. The church retains box pews in the nave and north aisle, with similar pews in the south aisle of pitch pine. At the west end of the south aisle are the painted arms of GeorgeIII. At the east end of the north aisle is a cylindrical gritstone font.

Listing NGR: SD5225969550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 181928

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing