HILLSIDE AND ATTACHED WINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072025

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: HILLSIDE AND ATTACHED WINGS, 48, PRESTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILLSIDE AND ATTACHED WINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:48:52.

Location

Statutory Address: HILLSIDE AND ATTACHED WINGS, 48, PRESTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkham

National Grid Reference: SD 42824 32093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKHAM PRESTON STREET SD 43 SW 9/31 No.48 Hillside and attached wings (Formerly listed as No 48 12.6.50 (Hillside)

- II

House with attached stable wings, now restaurant, early C19 with a few later alterations. Brick (in Flemish bond) on sandstone plinth with stone (or stucco) dressings, slate roof and gable stacks. 5 bays, 2 storeys with cellar and attic. The doorway is set within a semi-elliptical arch and has engaged Ionic columns carrying a simple cornice with a semi-elliptical fanlight over. Probably original door with.6 raised and fielded panels. All windows are sashed with 12 panes and have stone (or stucco) lintels and sills. Doorway is approached up a double flight of stairs with cast iron railings; these have stick balusters on the flights but a roundel in the centre of the top balustrade which supports a late-c19th lantern (also supported from the cornice of the doorway). To either side (but not symmetrically) are lower two-storey wings with stable or coach house doors below and a pair of lunette windows above. Interior: Most doorways have reeded jambs, but the detail generally appears to be towards mid C19. Staircase has open string (with brackets decorated with Vitruvian scrolls) stick balusters and a mahogany handrail. Landing window has margin-pane glazing, reeded jambs and a semi-circular head decorated with feathers set radially. History: House built by John Birley for his son Edward, who died in 1811 before it was completed. Edward Birley's tomb is in the churchyard of the Church of St. Michael (q.v. under Church Street).

Listing NGR: SD4282432093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183601

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing