CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1072279
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, TALBOT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 06:13:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, TALBOT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping
National Grid Reference:
SD 62210 43323

Details

SD 64 SW CHIPPING TALBOT STREET

4/79 Church of St. Bartholomew 13.2.67

GV II*

Church, early C16th with earlier remains, restored 1872. Sandstone rubble now unsympathetically pointed, with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, north aisle under a pitched roof, south aisle and south porch. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. The west doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred head. Above is the window of 3 trefoiled lights with panel tracery and hood mould. The belfry openings are each of 2 cusped lights. The north and south aisle windows are restored, with straight heads and cusped lights. The south porch was rebuilt in 1872 and has an outer doorway with 4-centred head. A chamfered priest's door to the chancel has a 4-centred head. The dormer on the south side of the nave was rebuilt in 1873 and has a 5-light mullioned window and a timber gable. The east window has an elliptical head and 5 cusped lights with renewed mullions.

Interior. The nave and chancel are undivided. The north and south arcades have 3 bays each to the nave and 2 to the chancel. Both have octagonal piers and arches of 2 chamfered orders, but those to the north are lower and more pointed. Some of the capitals to the north are carved. The west respond has 2 women's faces with headgear said to be C14th (Pevsner). The 1st pier from the west has various devices carved on its capital, including y-tracery on its side and a quatrefoil. The 2nd pier has 5 grotesque faces on its west side, including one of an animal. In the south wall of the chancel is a C13th piscina with trefoiled head, edge-roll moulding and nail-head ornament, now lacking its bowl. The nave, chancel and north aisle roofs are all C19th with arch-braced collars and short king posts. The south aisle roof is possibly C16th with moulded purlins, principal rafters and wall plate. The font, at the west end of the south aisle, is said to be of 1520 (church guide). It is of sandstone and octagonal, with a shield on each of the sides of the bowl, one with 'IB' for Bradley of Bradley Hall, and some of the others with instruments of the Passion. On the base are inverted letters said to stand for Ave Maria Gratia Dominus Tecum.



Listing NGR: SD6221043323

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182966
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02746/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].