Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ROSCOE LOWE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 16:07:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Chorley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 61766 13364


ANDERTON ROSCOE LOWE BROW SD 61 SW 14/8 Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse l7.4.67 GV II

Farmhouse of 2 builds, dated 1683 and 1759, the first containing earlier fabric and now used as store. Squared sandstone with quoins, stone slate roofs. L-shaped plan formed by addition of 1759 at right angles to west gable of earlier building. Two storeys, on sloping site, the later part higher. This is 3 bays, symmetrical except that right end overlaps gable of older part, has gable chimneys, a central doorway with simple moulded architrave, 2 windows at ground floor and 3 above, all relatively large with splayed stone heads, the upper of 3, 2, and 3 lights with chamfered flush mullions, the lower altered as 2-light top-hung casements; the lintel of the 2-light window at 1st floor above the door is inscribed 0 S M 1759 (= Samuel Oldknow). Left gable has a 2-light attic window formerly mullioned, rear has a round-headed 3-stage stairlight with chamfered transoms and central mullion, a small window at ground level below this; right gable, mostly covered by lean-to addition, has an attic window like that in the left gable. The older part is 2 bays, much altered in C18, when it appears to have been raised and cased in stone; the re-entrant or south side has a blocked doorway in the centre, 3-light chamfered flush flush-mullion windows at ground floor and 1st floor right, an altered window at 1st floor left, and close to the junction a little square window at 1st floor lighting a staircase: the north side has a large single-storey gabled porch altered as a washhouse, the gable incorporating a worn datestone lettered in relief (?) F, a doorway and a window in the 1683 both sides of this, another doorway to the left of it, and an altered 3-light window above. The interior of this part has a timber framed partition with remains of a cruck blade at ground floor of the north end; and in the 1st bay, entered from the porch, a structure which may have been an inglenook. History: from this house Samuel Oldknow operated a putting-out system in the local textile industry before moving to Stockport and developing a spinning mill at Mellor.

Listing NGR: SD6176613364


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].