CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072580

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, STUMBLE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072580 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 18:36:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, STUMBLE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)

Parish: Shipbourne

National Grid Reference: TQ 59132 52242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 55 SE SHIPBOURNE STUMBLE HILL 3/21 (west side)

25.8.59 Church of St Giles GV II

Church. Fragmentary remains of C14 chapel on site after complete rebuilding 1721-22 by James Gibbs, later replaced 1879-81 by Maun and Saunders for Edward Cazalet of Fairlawne. Nave and chancel church with transepts in neo-Decorated style. Central tower. Coursed ragstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Tower. Pointed arch openings at belfry stage. Crenellated parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with weather-vane. Four corner animal gargoyles. North-east corner octagonal stair-tower. Chancel. One bay. Three-light east window, gable parapet with kneelers over. Transepts. Three-light and windows in recessed arches. Nave. Four bays. Groups of 3 single light windows. Gabled north-west porch with gable-parapet and kneelers. Columned arched entrance. Small round window in west end gable, pair of 2-light windows below. Interior. Full width arches across bays of nave with inlaid decoration above and at impost level. Similar decoration above and around chancel arch. Wooden barrel vault to nave with arved stone colonnettes supporting the ribs. Ribbed and banded brick and stone vault to crossing. Shallow chancel with more inlaid decoration, covered by boarded wooden vault. Carved reredos of Last Supper with pinnacles over. Carved pulpit with moveable legs and parapet. Carved font with marble legs. Wooden stalls with arched and pinnacled canopy across full width of west end. Monument to Christopher Vane ; 1723 and his wife, Elizabeth, d.1725 in south transept. Giant Aedicule surmounted by triangular pediment. Figures of Elizabeth to left and Christopher to right, flanking urn on pedestal. Daughter, Elizabeth below, kneeling. One arch from the medieval chapel survives, built into the interior of the north transept. A photograph, an elevation and a plan of the Gibbs church are displayed in the church.

Listing NGR: TQ5916252153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357409

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing