HIGH HALSTEAD FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072637

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1981

Statutory Address: HIGH HALSTEAD FARMHOUSE, EXTWISTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH HALSTEAD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:30:03.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGH HALSTEAD FARMHOUSE, EXTWISTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood

National Grid Reference: SD 88053 33501

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH EXTWISTLE ROAD HURSTWOOD

3/44 High Halstead Farmhouse 9.1.1981 - II

Farmhouse, in course of conversion as house at time of survey (1985). Probably c.1600; reduced and altered in C19. Large squared sandstone in watershot coursing, with quoins, rebuilt part of smaller masonry also watershot and with quoins; graduated stone slate roof. Two bays, south gable to road (this end formerly continued to south, but rebuilt in C19), with short wing on west side (this demolished during survey, for rebuilding). Two storeys; east front has at ground floor a recessed king-mullioned window of 8 lights with ovolo-and-fillet mullions and hoodmould, and at 1st floor 2 similarly recessed 3-light windows; wall to the left rebuilt, with sashed window at ground floor; C19 cottage added at right hand end; C19 chimneys at left gable and junction. South gable wall has altered or inserted door; short west wing (before demolition) had in the gable a large moulded depressed-arched doorway near the right hand corner, a blocked doorway near the left corner, at 1st floor a blocked opening with a hoodmould and a small chamfered opening to the left, and a wide chimney on the gable; and there was a lean-to addition in the re-entrant angle to the left. Interior: altered, but building work in progress exposed in the partition wall to the wing the remains of a triple-arched structure, with a wide segmental-headed fireplace in the centre, a semi-circular arched doorway to the left (in line with the former outer doorway) and part of a similar arch to the right; former wing likely to have been a firehood incorporating the principal entrance. Reference RCHM esp. pp.12-13 and 171-2. (Note: similar triple arches at Moorfell Farmhouse, Hurstwood, q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD8805333501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184050

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 12-13
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 171-2

End of official listing