EXTWISTLE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AT SD 875 338

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072655

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1953

Statutory Address: EXTWISTLE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AT SD 875 338

Map

Ordnance survey map of EXTWISTLE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AT SD 875 338
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:24:07.

Location

Statutory Address: EXTWISTLE HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AT SD 875 338

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Briercliffe

National Grid Reference: SD 87605 33800

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 83 SE BRIERCLIFFE WITH EXTWISTLE 3/1 Extwistle Hall with attached garden wall at SD 875 338

1.4.1953 - II*

Gentry hall-house, now farmhouse. C16 and C17, altered, partly destroyed and remodelled in later C19. Coursed squared sandstone and coursed sandstone rubble, with quoins, stone slate roofs on various levels, some with gable copings and ball finials. Irregular plan of uncertain development, with ranges on 3 sides of a small courtyard, the 4th side enclosed by a high wall; hall range on south side, 3 high storeys with 1st floor hall raised over a service basement (probably C17 rebuilding of C16 original); at the east end a low 2-storey crosswing (probably C16) and attached to the north-east corner of this another low 2-storey range (perhaps formerly lodgings); at the west end, overlapping the corner of the hall and built to the same height, a projecting stair wing of 4 storeys, which is the remodelled surviving element of formerly much larger crosswing (probably later C17). Numerous features of interest externally, including hall window of 15 + 15 lights with a king mullion, 2 transoms, and mullions with ogee moulding, and at ground floor of rear of hall range a C16 window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels and chamfered flush mullions. Interior: in east wing, 2 king-post roof trusses (one open); in hall range, lofty hall (now partitioned) with moulded arched fireplace (blocked), remants of moulded plaster decoration including geometrical patterns on ceiling, vine frieze, and foliated overmantel lettered "CRAS NESCIO CUIUS". Home of gentry family of Parker from mid C16. For further details see RCHM pp.135-7 et passim; VCH Lancs VI pp.472-3.

Listing NGR: SD8750033800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 472-3
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985)

End of official listing