This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARCROFT HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND ENTRANCE GATEWAY AT SD865304

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARCROFT HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND ENTRANCE GATEWAY AT SD865304

List entry Number: 1072668

Location

BARCROFT HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND ENTRANCE GATEWAY AT SD865304

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cliviger

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with attached garden wall and entrance gateway at SD 865 304

- - II*

The fourth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:

" E-plan, facing north-west;north-east wing probably late C16, hall range and south-west wing C17, and possibly of different builds (modern addition to north-east wing is not of special interest)."

------------------------------------ In the entry for:

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with attached garden wall 1.4.53 and entrance gateway at SD 865 304

- II*

The description shall be amended to read:

Lesser gentry hall-house, now house and 2 unoccupied cottages. Late C16 and C17, with additions of C19 at north end; altered in later C19 and subsequently. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roofs. E-plan formed by an early C17 hall range on a north-south axis facing west, with a former through passage at its north end and an oriel in the centre altered as a porch; a large projecting south wing of slightly later date; and a projecting late C16 2-bay north wing (derelict at time of inspection) which appears to have been associated with a former hall-range to the north; plus later C18 and C19 parallel additions to the north side of this wing and integrated with it. Two and 3 storeys on a sloping site, the floor of the north wing now higher than that of the hall, and that of the south wing lower. A small grass forecourt is enclosed by a high screen wall with a moulded and dog-toothed semi-circular arched gateway which has a crow-stepped parapet incorporating a datestone lettered "1636. The gabled 2-storey former oriel, on the same axis as the gateway, has a plinth (carried round), a square-headed doorway with moulded surround and lintel lettered "William Barcroft 1614" inserted beneath the hoodmould of a former window, a double chamfered mullioned 4-light window at 1st floor and a single round-headed light immediately above, both with hoodmoulds; the bay to the left has a blocked square-headed doorway, above this (and offset left) a C16 gallery window of 4 recessed round-headed lights, and at 1st floor a C17 mullioned 3-light window; the re- entrant of the wing has C16 window of 3 round-headed lights. The bay to the right has one small 2-light mullioned window on each floor, and small round-headed loop-light in the corner to the right of the upper. At the rear (inter alia) the hall has a transomed king-mullioned window of 10+10 lights, at its north end a doorway and gallery window like those at the front, and at its south end 3 vertically-aligned 3-light windows, the lowest of which is a firewindow; the north wing has a C16 window of 3 recessed round-headed lights at 1st floor and left of this a small round-headed loop-light; the south wing has a transomed 10- light window to the principal floor. Other windows of the hall- range and south wing are also mullioned. The addition to the north of the north wing has a vertical joint in the centre, the portion to the west being of C18 masonry and the portion to the east later C19, with openings accordingly. INTERIOR: hall-range has lofty hall with beamed ceiling divided into compartments, very large stone fireplace at south end with remains of garderobe in its west side, late C19 gallery at north end; and chamber floor with beamed ceilings and Cl7 fireplaces. C16 north wing of 2 storeys and 2 bays divided by large chimney stack; east bay has arched head of large former fireplace now approx. 1 metre above floor level, and head of former doorway to hall at corresponding level of partition wall (suggesting that floor was raised to level of C18 and C19 additions on north side); each chamber has a kingpost truss with moulded cambered tie-beam on arched braces embedded in walls. North wall of this wing (now partition to C18 and C19 additions) has remains of former wide gap with dressed masonry at both ends suggesting position of former hall. Lateral partition wall between 2 portions of northern additions has window at 1st floor indicating that this was external gable wall of C18 western portion before C19 eastern portion was added, and massive beam at first floor level. Each portion is now internally integrated with one bay of C16 wing to which it is attached, making 2 separate dwellings (the cottages, derelict and dilapidated at time of inspection). HISTORY and REFERENCES: VCH Lancs VI pp 483-4; (Supplementary Series) "Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760" [1985] pp 139-40 (et passim).

------------------------------------

SD 83 SE CLIVIGER

3/19 Barcroft Hall with attached garden wall and entrance gateway 1.4.53 at SD 865 304

- - II*

Lesser gentry hall-house, now 2 dwellings. Late C16 and C17, altered. Coursed sandstone with quoins, stone slate roof. E-plan, facing north-west; north-east wing probably late C16, hall range and south-west wing C17, and possibly of different builds (modern addition to north-east wing not included in the item). Two and 3 storeys on sloping site, the south-west wing raised over a semi-basement. Small grass forecourt enclosed by high screen wall with moulded and dogtoothed semi-circular arched gateway under crow-stepped parapet incorporating datestone "1636"; on the same axis as the gateway a 2-storey gabled porch, formerly an oriel, with moulded doorway inserted beneath the hoodmould of a former window, the frieze over the doorway lettered "William Barcroft 1614"; in the re-entrant to the left, a blocked former doorway to the screens passage, above this a C16 window of 4 recessed round-headed lights (lighting gallery), and in the re-entrant wall of the left wing a similar window of 3 lights; the rear of this part has a corresponding doorway to the screens passage, a similar 3-light window to the gallery, and the rear gable of this wing has at 1st floor a similar but deeper 3-light window, and a narrow looplight to the left; other external openings of the earliest surviving part of the building all altered. Elsewhere, most of the original C17 windows of the hall range and south-west wing survive unaltered, they are recessed, with ovolo or chamfered mullions, and some at the front have hoodmoulds (but none elsewhere); on the south side the hall is lit by a transomed king-mullion window of 10 + 10 lights, and the principal floor of the wing by transomed windows of 10 lights in the gable and 9 and 9 lights in the return wall; at the south-west end of the hall range are 3 vertically-aligned 3-light windows, the lowest of which is the firewindow to a very large arched stone hall fireplace. Interior: not inspected; interpretive description in RCHM pp.139-140 (et passim). Reference also VCH Lancs VI PP.483-4. Home of Barcroft family until estate was partitioned following death of Thomas Barcroft 1668.

Listing NGR: SD8656230417

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 483-4
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 139-40

National Grid Reference: SD 86562 30417

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:12:44.

End of official listing