CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072669

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BURNLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 20:02:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, BURNLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Cliviger

National Grid Reference: SD 87634 28520

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 82 NE CLIVIGER BURNLEY ROAD Holme

6/21 Church of St. John the Evangelist 1.4.1953 - II

Church, 1788-94, enlarged and altered 1897. Squared sandstone with dressed quoins, (etc), roof concealed by parapet (probably slate). Rectangular 3-bay plan, with 2 bay chancel and vestry added 1897. In simple classical style, with plain string course, moulded cornice, low parapet, round-headed windows, west bell turret finished with octagonal cupola; 2-storey entrance front at west end has pedimented Tuscan architrave to round-headed door all within a shallow round-headed blind arch described by the string course and containing a lunette; 2 windows on each floor, all round-headed with circular tracery; a round window in the pediment and 3 circular tie-plates at 1st floor. Side walls have 3 large round headed windows in blind arches like that at the front. South side has 2 downspouts with rainwater heads lettered 17 DW 97, and a large cruciform tie-plate at each end. Two-bay chancel in matching style has a Venetian east window (relocated). Gate archway on south side surmounted by remains of late medieval carved stone cross. Interior: east end altered 1897 by addition of chancel, but retaining triple arched screen wall with high semi-circular central arch (formerly to a sanctuary recess) flanked by lower arches (formerly to private pews of Ormerod and Whitaker families); consecration date 1794 recorded in inscribed roundels on west side of pier to Whitaker pew; at west end a gallery with 3 semi-circular arches below (the outer blind) and 3 above, the wooden gallery front divided into 4 panels by fluted pilasters, and the panels containing painted Commandment Tables; late C15 or early C16 octagonal oak pulpit with open traceried panels and embattled top; 4 carved oak stalls from former Blackburn Parish Church (demolished 1820), 2 having carved misericords; various wall monuments of Ormerod and Whitaker families, including bust of T.D. Whitaker, historian; and painting of General Scarlett, hero of Crimean War.

Listing NGR: SD8763428520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184027

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing