THE CORN MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072722

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1975

Statutory Address: THE CORN MILL, BURNLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CORN MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:08:50.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CORN MILL, BURNLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

Parish: Altham

National Grid Reference: SD 77502 32996

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALTHAM Off BURNLEY ROAD SD 73 SE 3/45 The Corn Mill 9.7.1975 G.V. II

Former water mill, dated 1816, with extension (now under conversion as dwellings). Coursed sandstone, stone slate roof on 2 levels with chimneys at left gable and on gable at junction. Single pile plan, roughly L-shaped with outshut to front of left end and projecting double-pile extension at right end. Built into slope above river: 3 storeys to front, 4 at rear. In centre at 2nd floor level is shouldered stone plaque lettered "Erected BY E. TOPHAM Esquire 1816" Various square window openings and doors to front and rear, including 3-tier warehouse doors in front of extension. At left end is low boiler house and a tapering cylindrical stone chimney with moulded collar and cap. History: used as corn mill to mid-C19, subsequently various other functions including ice works, wheelwright's shop, and 1906-47 manufacture of heald staves (Ainsworth Altham and Huncoat pp. 142-45).

Listing NGR: SD7750232996

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183848

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ainsworth, R, The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District, (1928), 142-145

End of official listing