This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1072874

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185524

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKLAND CHURCHTONWN SD 44 SE 7/130 Church of St. Helen 17-4-1967 GV I

Church, C15 with remains of c.1220 and c.1300, C16 alterations, clear storey and roof of 1811, restored 1865-8. Comprises a west tower, a nave and lower chancel with clear storey, north and south aisles, north-east vestry, south porch with C18 hearse-house, and south chapel. The tower has diagonal buttresses, a stair turret with stone spirelet, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are of 2 trefoiled light under a flat head with hood. The west window is of 3 trefoiled lights with pointed head and Perpendicular tracery. The west door has a pointed head. The west window of the north aisle is C14 and is of 3 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with straight bar tracery. The south aisle west window is of c.1300, with cusped intersecting tracery. The north aisle has 4 bays, separated by buttresses, which have 3-light windows with pointed heads and Perpendicular tracery. To their west is a molded doorway with pointed head. Adjoining the east corner of the aisle is a 2-storey vestry, probably late C16. Its north wall has a window of 2 round-headed lights on each floor. Its east, gable, wall has a similar window of 3 lights to a ground-floor lean-to, and one of 2 lights above. On the gable is an octagonal chimney shaft. The east window of the north aisle is similar to those in its north wall. The clearstorey windows on both sides are of 3 pointed lights under flat heads. On the south side the gabled porch has an outer pointed doorway chamfered in orders. Adjoining its west side is a gabled hearse-house with a doorway with round arch and keystone dated 1754. The south chapel is of 2 bays, as is the south aisle. Their windows are similar to those of the north aisle. The chancel east window is of 5 cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Inside, the 5-bay nave arcades have pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders, probably C15, and round piers with capitals, possibly c.1300. The nave roof has bolted king post trusses. 2 pointed arches lead to the south chapel, which has a lean-to roof with moulded beams, and a wallplate with Latin inscription and date 1529. In the south wall is a piscina with trefoiled head, probably re-set. This wall has remains of wall painting. The chancel arch is pointed and moulded in 2 orders. Its southern pier has a squint, converted from a stone stair. The 2-bay north chancel arcade has compound piers and responds of c.1220 with stiff-leaf capitals. The west respond is lower and encased within later masonry. The piscina has a trefoiled head. The pulpit incorporates C17 carved woodwork and date '1646'. 2 of the rows of choir stalls incorporate medieval woodwork, with carved misericordes.

Listing NGR: SD4816242798

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 48162 42796

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 06:19:52.

End of official listing