Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HALSALL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:52:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lancashire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 37351 10543



1283-0/0/10001 Halsall House


House, probably built as rectory, now private dwelling. c.1847-50, by Sydney Smirke for the Blundell family. Coursed squared sandstone in large blocks, slate roof. Irregular rectangular double-depth plan under 2-span roof, on north-east/south-west axis, with south-east turret. Jacobean style. Two storeys with cellars and attics, a 3-window range with short gabled wings at each end linked by a 5-bay loggia which has buttressed piers, chamfered Perpendicular arches, a drip-band and an embattled parapet. Within this loggia the ground floor has a Perpendicular arched doorway in the centre flanked by small 1-light windows, and a 6-light mullion-and-transom window to the 1st bay; above it, the 1st floor has a cross-window flanked by 6-light windows, a drip-band interrupted by 4 rainwater heads and carried round, and a parapet also carried round. The gables of the flanking wings both have extruded chimney stacks, each with a plaque at 1st-floor level carved in linenfold pattern, and 3 clustered octagonal chimneys. The right-hand (south) return wall is of 2 gabled bays, the first projected, with similar mullion-and-transom windows including French windows to the projection in the form of tall coupled cross-windows, and attic windows of 1 and 2 lights in the gables; and at the right hand corner is a 3-stage turret, square at ground floor and octagonal above, with lancet windows, a moulded cornice and a lead-clad ogival cap surmounted by a weathervane. The rear has (inter alia) a canted bay window and a shallow rectangular bay window, both transomed and the latter with arched upper lights. (The north end has various altered service extensions, and a C20 conservatory attached to these). INTEPIOR: entrance hall with mosaic floor (now concealed), leading (through recently enlarged opening) to large staircase hall which has open-well staircase in Jacobean style, and 3 doorways into the principal rooms with wide pilastered architraves, those to the library and dining room coupled, with semi-circular arches over the cornice; library with original built-in mahogany bookcases; drawing room with wall panels; moulded plaster, cornices in drawing room and library (acanthus leaf and egg-and-dart); complete suite of cellars. Forms a group with associated ha-ha (q.v.). History: appears to have been built to replace former rectory approx. 100 metres south-west, which was part C14, the ruins still visible in 1955.

This building was added to the list by 4th Amendment, dated 14 January 1992 and the entry amended by 5th Amendment, dated 18 February 1992.

Listing NGR: SD3735110543


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10970/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].