This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAWSTORNE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAWSTORNE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1073035

Location

RAWSTORNE HOUSE, POPE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 52NW HUTTON POPE LANE

4/13 Rawstorne House -

- II

Parish Workhouse, 1827, now house. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Long range, rectangular plan, ridge stack in centre, gable stack at right end. Three storeys including raised basement. Right half of facade is now blind; raised entrance with double flight of brick steps in centre of left half of facade, stone doorcase; one basement window to left of steps; 5 windows on each floor above, of varied sizes but all with stone sills, splayed stone heads and top-hung casements. Evidence of former square window openings in right end: 5 at basement level, 2 on each of 1st and 2nd floor levels. Square stone tablet between 1st and 2nd floors over door, with incised inscription:

"This Work House was erected in the year 1827 at the Expense of the Tax payers of the Township of Hutton. The Foundation & Area consisting of 1106 square yards. Given by Law Rawstorne Esq."

(Building has been used as farmhouse, and rear wall altered as barn entrance.) - 8 -

Listing NGR: SD5187425976

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51874 25976

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073035 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 01:39:29.

End of official listing