ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073096
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHAD, TOWN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 09:33:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHAD, TOWN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittle-le-Woods
National Grid Reference:
SD 59620 20822

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/02/2012

SD 52 SE 3/171

WHITTLE-LE-WOODS TOWN LANE Roman Catholic Church of St. Chad

GV II

Roman Catholic Church dedicated to St Chad, originally chapel of 1791, designed by John Ashton and extended in 1857-1868 with the building of a new nave, sanctuary and church tower. The sanctuary was extended in 1888 replacing the earlier apsidal structure. The church was altered internally after severe fire damage in 1959. Coursed sandstone on plinth of large blocks, with stone quoins and dressings, slate roof with stone gable copings. Cruciform plan, nave added in 1896 to south side of original chapel which now forms wide transepts, with chancel on north side; short tower at south end of nave, incorporating entrance porch at ground floor. Nave has 2 windows at the south end (flanking the tower), 3 in each side; transepts have one in the south wall, 2 in the gable walls: all these are tall and round-headed with jamb stones and voussoirs, in vernacular style of similar pre-Emancipation chapels (altered glazing now in all). Tower has openings which are also round- headed, but in Italianate style, the simple doorways on each side set in tall shallow recesses which have moulded semi-circular heads containing circular windows, and impost bands below which are small triple-windows with round-headed lights; the upper stage is a belfry which has on each side 2 louvred openings with moulded semi-circular heads, linked by an impost band; roof is low-pitched, pyramidal, with projecting eaves. Interior: altered since fire, but transept arcades survive: 3 rounded arches with hoodmould, supported by polished columns with octagonal caps. In baptistery is an embroidered sampler, dated 1846, showing "Southill Chapel" at that date.



Listing NGR: SD5962020822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357692
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02938/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].