CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073252
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:40:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cottesmore
National Grid Reference:
SK 90249 13637

Details

COTTESMORE

SK 91 SW MAIN STREET (North Side)

7/50 Church of St. Nicholas

14.6.54

GV II*

Church of C12-C15 with S porch of 1851. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, with Collyweston slate, lead and parapetted roofs. Buttresses with set-offs, plinth, ball flower and head frieze to nave and aisles, and stone coped gables. W tower with spire, nave aisles, chancel, N chancel vestry and S porch. C13 Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses. W window with restored Geometric tracery, clock face and lancet on 2nd stage S side and 1-light on N side, 4 bell openings with bar tracery, and ball flower and head frieze at top. Broach spire with tall broaches, 2 sets of lucarnes, and part gilded weathervane. W arch to nave triple chamfered, the inner dying into polygonal respond. Blank window above and buttress to right. C14 nave arcades, N of 3 bays plus a 4th, and S of 4 bays. Double chamfered arches with hood moulds and lable stops over octagonal piers. Clerestorey probably early C14 (ball flower frieze) though 3 Perp windows. 6 bay low-pitch tie beam roof much restored. Wall pieces and curved braces from wooden corbels. Similar roofs to aisles, the S with open carved spandrels. N aisle has NW, 3 N and NE windows with Perp tracery. N doorway c1300. Chancel arch double chamfered the inner dying into polygonal respond. Chancel walls probably partly C13 (C13 respond showing) but late Perp windows. 1 N with stained glass of c1907, 3 S, one with C19 stained glass and one with roll moulded chamfer. 5-light E window with stained glass of c1890. N chancel vestry of 1855. Chancel roof is 3 bay restored low-pitch tie beam with moulded beams producing square panels. S aisle has Perp windows, SE with stained glass of c1895 and 3 others, one with ball flower decoration and flat topped. On right of S door a small door leads to former staircase to former priest's room over S porch. S porch, now open to roof, of 1851. S doorway is Norman but not in situ. Shafts and arch with zigzag. Font has square base of probably c1200. Reliefs of Christ Crucified and saintly Bishop. C14 or C15 octagonal bowl above. C17 oak pulpit with oval panels on later stone base. E part of N aisle is RAF memorial chapel. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK9024913637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186620
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12659/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].