WHITEHOUGH HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073458
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1953
Statutory Address:
WHITEHOUGH HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS, BARLEY NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITEHOUGH HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073458 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:05:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITEHOUGH HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS, BARLEY NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Pendle (District Authority)
Parish:
Barley-with-Wheatley Booth
National Grid Reference:
SD 83171 40366

Details

SD 84 SW BARLEY-WITH-WHEATLEY BOOTH BARLEY NEW ROAD

6/5 Whitehough House, Farmhouse and outbuildings.

1.4.53

- II

House dated 1593 but rebuilt early C17 and altered early C19. Rubble with quoins, part limewashed. Complicated plan due to extensions but developed from hall range with cross-wing. South facing front has 2 gables, both with stone coping. Smaller gable forms original porch to farmhouse with ground floor now built up by lean-to. Above is continuous dripstone and 3 tablets with long inscription recording the building of the house in 1593 by Christopher and Jenet Bullcocke. First floor has 3-light stone mullion window with dripstone. Larger gable has 4-light window on first floor. To left of porch on ground floor is one 4-light and one 6-light window with continuous dripstone. Above is one 3-light and one 4-light window similar. Extensions to left are of later date and altered. East front has been altered and is early C19 in character. Interior largely altered. (1/p131/RCHM).

Listing NGR: SD8317140366

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186129
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 131

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13250/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Marcus Sleightholm. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].