ASHES FARMHOUSE WITH WALL SURROUNDING FRONT GARDEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1073517

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: ASHES FARMHOUSE WITH WALL SURROUNDING FRONT GARDEN, HALFPENNY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHES FARMHOUSE WITH WALL SURROUNDING FRONT GARDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:25:53.

Location

Statutory Address: ASHES FARMHOUSE WITH WALL SURROUNDING FRONT GARDEN, HALFPENNY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

Parish: Whittingham

National Grid Reference: SD 59446 37490

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53 NE 5/116

WHITTINGHAM HALFPENNY LANE Ashes Farmhouse with wall surrounding front garden

11.11.1966

II*

Farmhouse, dated 1683 on lintel, but perhaps earlier greatly enlarged at that date; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roofs. H-plan: single-bay centre (with entrance and staircase only), and 2-bay crosswings. Two and a half storeys, except right wing which is 2 storeys (probably cut down); continuous dripcourse carried round left wing and centre; chamfered doorway to left of set-back centre, dripcourse stepped over it and a datestone above, recessed in a chamfered surround and lettered in relief C W:A 1683, a 2-light recessed mullion window to the right and another at 1st floor (stairlight). Gable of left wing has similar windows of 2 and one light at ground floor, 2 lights on each floor above (all these 2-light windows offset to left, and that at 1st floor with a hoodmould) and a gable chimney; return wall of this wing has similar windows of 5 lights at ground floor, 3 and 5 lights above (these latter with hoodmoulds). Gable of right wing has similar windows of 5 lights at ground floor and 3 lights above, both with hoodmoulds, and its right return wall has windows of 3-lights at ground floor and 2 lights above, also with hoodmoulds, and a 3-light casement at ground floor of the rear bay; ridge chimney. Rear has some similar windows. Right wing is both broader and lower than the rest, the roof of the centre ending in a gable overlooking the wing. Interior: in the centre a full-height quarter-turn staircase with landings, square newels, closed string, turned balusters and moulded handrail (but upper level differs and may be C19). Left wing has at 1st floor a panelled stone fireplace with fluted keystone; and lateral beams supported by stone corbels, ovolo-moulded at ground floor and chamfered above. Right wing has chamfered lateral beams.

Included in the item is the wall continued from the outer corner of each wing, making a rectangular enclosed garden c.10 metres deep; wall is of random rubble c.1 metre high with a flat coping and 2 round-topped gateposts in line with the front door of the house.

Listing NGR: SD5944637490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185963

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing