WHINNEYCLOUGH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073541
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
WHINNEYCLOUGH FARMHOUSE, INGLEWHITE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHINNEYCLOUGH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:17:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHINNEYCLOUGH FARMHOUSE, INGLEWHITE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
Parish:
Goosnargh
National Grid Reference:
SD 56897 39232

Details

SD 53 NE GOOSNARGH INGLEWHITE ROAD (off)

5/67 Whinneyclough Farmhouse 11.11.1966 GV II

Farmhouse dated 1706 over door, with rear addition dated 1757 internally, altered. Coursed sandstone rubble mostly roughcast, with quoins, slate roof with gable chimney to left (and formerly to right also). L-shaped plan formed by 2 builds: 3-bay front range of 1706, with stepped 2-bay rear wing to the right (1757). Two storeys, almost symmetrical; plinth, exposed masonry at ground floor ending at continuous dripcourse which steps over door, doorway with moulded surround, and rising from the dripcourse over the door a square panel carved with a shield and helm (arms of Cawthorne family) surrounded by foliated decoration and dated in the bottom corners "17" "06"; two 4-light chamfered mullion windows at ground floor and a 2-light firewindow to the left, 3 similar 3-light windows at 1st floor; each gable wall has a 2-light window at ground floor and a square attic window. The added rear wing of coursed rubble with quoins has a doorway to the 1st bay, enlarged window at ground floor and square window above, a set-back 2nd bay with lean-to additions in the angle and to the rear. Interior: front range now has central passage between housepart on left and service rooms on right, but passage partition is an insertion; partition between service rooms removed, door to former dairy blocked but detectable; back kitchen of rear wing incorporates stone lintel of former door with panel inscribed: E (= George Eccles) G I 1757 History: Whinneyclough, owned by Hoghton family of Hoghton Tower in C16 and early C17; bought 1657 by John Bamber of Poulton-le-Fylde, merchant; sold in 1681 to William Cawthorne of St. Barthdomew the Less, London; and in 1754 to Henry Eccles of Clifton, yeoman.

Listing NGR: SD5689739232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185914
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11589/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].