CHURCH OF ST MARY DE CASTRO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1074070
Date first listed:
05-Jan-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY DE CASTRO, CASTLE YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY DE CASTRO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 05:44:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY DE CASTRO, CASTLE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 58285 04188

Details

SK 5804 LEICESTER CASTLE YARD 718/2/26 Church of St Mary de Castro 5.1.50

GV I

Church. Founded cll07 by first Earl of Leicester as collegiate chapel attached to the castle. Early C13 and early C14, altered C15 and 1785 by John Cheshire, restored 1853-4 by Sir George Gilbert Scott additions 1899 by GF Bodley. MATERIALS: coursed rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. PLAN: nave with north aisle and south aisle with clerestory, south porch and tower with tall spire, chancel and north transept and vestry. EXTERIOR: west front has centra16-light pointed arch window and to left round headed doorway with zig-zag moulding. T o right tall square tower with a single small lancet to each face and octagonal stair turret to south-west corner. Bell stage has 5 bay blind arcading with central 2-light bell opening to each face and battlements with tall corner pinnacles. Above octagonal stone spire with crockets and alternating lucarnes. South front has single lancet to lett and projecting gabled porch with triple pointed arch doorway and double doors with elaborate iron hinges and to right 4 pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery and alternating buttresses plus above eight 3-light windows with 4-centred arch heads. East front has to south aisle a large 7 -light pointed arch window, added 1847, with reticulated tracery. Chancel has 2 large round headed windows with zig-zag moulding and above a similar blind arch, plus 2 similar windows to south. North front has central round headed doorway to aisle with double arch decorated with zig-zag moulding and supported on 2 columns, above small round headed niche. Either side 2 pointed arch windows. Gabled north transept has 3-light pointed arch window and beyond set-back vestry with two 3-light 4-centred arch windows. Chancel has 5 round headed windows with zig-zag moulding to arches, linking impost band and columns. INTERIOR: has in chancel important round headed piscina and elaborate triple arched sedilia. South aisle has triple pointed arched sedilia. 4 bay nave arcade with moulded and pointed arches, south arcade topped with internal clerestory made up of single deeply chamfered pointed arches. Wooden roofs C16 restored C19. Fittings include C19 wooden pews and organ case. Wooden parclose screen to chancel. C13 stone font. Fine reredos added 1899. Monuments include wall monument with figure of The Rev Thomas Robinson by J Bacon junior.



Listing NGR: SK5828504188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188601
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/06480/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].