Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074235.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:43:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 47019 00837


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/03/2016

SK 40 SE 7/63

PECKLETON CHURCH ROAD (north side) Church of St. Mary Magdalene

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Martin, previously listed as listed as Church of St. Mary Magdalene)


GV I Parish church. Early to mid-C14 with C16 alterations; restored 1869 by F.B. Osborn of Birmingham. Random rubble with freestone dressings, and Swithland slate roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle and north and south porches, 3-bay chancel. West tower: 3 stages with offsets, diagonal buttresses to the western corners and square set buttresses at the eastern corners, all surmounted by panelled and crocketed pinnacles, set diagonally to their respective buttresses; crenellated parapet with continuous moulded coping and recessed octagonal tower with crocketed angles and 2 tiers of lucarnes. Pointed west window with concave quarter-round-moulded surround and ogee-moulded hood ending in carved heads: 2 lights with flowing tracery incorporating an ogival heart shaped motif. The belfry lights have cusped Y-tracery beneath 4-centred arches; these are probably late C14. Nave and south aisle: The south front has a square-headed window at the west end; 2 lights with truncated reticulations over; the other two windows on this side also have 2 lights with reticulated tracery beneath 2-centred arches; all have hood moulds with head-stops. 4 C16 clerestory windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath 4-centred arches, and concave half-round-moulded surrounds.

C19 south porch with pointed opening on one order of shafts with stiff leaf capitals and roll and fillet moulded arch. Diagonal corner buttresses and crenellated parapet with continuous coping and hollow chamfered string. In the east wall of the aisle is a C16 window of 3 trefoil-headed lights beneath a 3-centred arch; above is another clerestory window. Similar C16 windows on the north side of the nave but transomed. North porch matching that on the south side. Chancel: One C15 south window of 3 trefoil-headed lights and perpendicular tracery beneath a square head; C14 east window with 4 trefoil-headed lights and flowing tracery containing an ogival heart-shaped motif, and a hood mould with head-stops. The north windows are C19 restorations. Interior: C14 four-bay south arcade of double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The tower arch has an outer chamfered surround and an inner chamfered arch springing from corbels with carved heads. Chancel arch on engaged semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals. C19 king-post roof over nave. C19 braced collar roof over chancel. Fixtures and fittings: C12 font with cylindrical pedestal and basin, the latter decorated with a pattern of concentric lozenges. Above the tower arch is a hatchment depicting the arms of Queen Victoria, presented to the church in 1863. Incorporated into the west wall of the south aisle is the side of a C16 alabaster chest tomb with an arcade containing figures. Below it is the medieval parish chest, the lid being made of a single piece of wood. At the east end of the aisle is a piscina with ogee head, indicating that this part of the aisle was once a chapel. C19 hexagonal stone pulpit with traceried sides. Piscina in the chancel with dog-tooth surround, apparently C13. Monuments: in the south wall of the chancel is an early C14 tomb recess with ogee arch surmounted by a cross, and 2 orders of convex quarter-round mouldings. On each side the mouldings are terminated at floor level by a trefoil-headed panel containing a carved figure; within the recess is the effigy of a civilian with hands raised in prayer. On the north side of the chancel is a near identical recess containing the effigy of a knight wearing chain armour including a coif de mailles, and a belted surcoat reaching to the knees; his legs are crossed. Next to him but outside the recess is the effigy of a lady with wimple headress. On the north wall of the chancel is the incised top from an early C16 chest tomb showing a knight in full plate armour flanked by 2 ladies. Tablets to the Reverend William Wood, died 1814, and Robert Chesser, died 1831, the latter having the carved picture of a graveyard with portrait medallion above. Stained glass: 2 small panels of C14 fragments in the chancel south east, including a nun and a St. Michael. The east window of 1894 is by Kempe. B.O.E. p.347

Listing NGR: SK4701900837


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 347


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15331/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].