CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1074386
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1965
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, STAUNTON HAROLD PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074386.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:19:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, STAUNTON HAROLD PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Parish:
Staunton Harold
National Grid Reference:
SK 37991 20873

Details

SK 32 SE STAUNTON HAROLD STAUNTON HAROLD PARK

1/67 Chapel of the Holy Trinity

24.11.65

GV I

Chapel, unique as a complete survival of a church built during the commonwealth. Inscription over west doors reads "In the year 1653 when all things sacred were throughout ye nation either demolisht or profaned Sir Robert Shirley Baronet, founded this church, whose singular praise it is to have done ye best things in ye worst times and hoped them in the most calamitous. The righteous shall be had in everlasting remembrance." Begun in 1653, the church and its furnishings were - not completed until 1665. In a gothic style, but a highly wrought and careful gothic, the parts, west tower, short nave of 3 bays with clerestory and aisles, and chancel, very sharply articulated. Tower has paired bell openings with Y-tracery, battlements and pinnacles with windvanes. Body of church has embattled parapets with crocketted pinnacles over buttresses. Flat-headed traceried lights to clerestory. Other windows in an early decorated style.

Elaborate baroque west doorway with paired tapering pilasters, swags, mannerist angels, and Shirley arms and inscription plate above. Interior has gothic-style architecture but fittings are all in Jacobean character. Original west door, ornate west screen with pierced central archway and side arches, pierced leaf scroll frieze above and panelled base. Above this, the organ loft incorporating Shirley arms in broken segmental pediment.Schmidt organ, case of 1686. Box pews, wall panelling and casing for piers. Plain panels to nave, more ornate in chancel. 2-decker pulpit, chancel screen, wrought iron, by Robert Bakewell, 1711, 4 hatchments over. Ceiling painted throughout, a curious depiction of clouds and elements - the creation out of chaos, signed by Samuel and Zachary Kink, and dated 1655. Communion table also original c1660-65.

Listing NGR: SK3799420870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187839
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16064/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].