CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074701

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, LEICESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 13:18:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, LEICESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby (District Authority)

Parish: Sharnford

National Grid Reference: SP 48360 91899

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHARNFORD LEICESTER ROAD SP 49 SE (south east side)

3/42 Church of St. Helen

7.10.57 II

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, nave altered C18, spire removed 1772, chancel 1846, south porch, 1854, restored 1866 by W. Smith, nave reroofed and restored following a fire, 1985. Random granite rubble with stone dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, vestry, chancel, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth, chamfered and moulded string courses, coved eaves band and restored crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Second stage has to west, a C14 Decorated double lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould. Third stage has 4 cusped double lancet bell openings, C19, with Y tracery and chamfered reveals. 3 bay nave has chamfered plinth, moulded eaves cornice, plain parapet and moulded coped gable. On the north side, 4 buttresses with 2 setoffs. To the west, a C15 chamfered doorway with hood mould, flanked to left by 2 and to right by single restored C15 triple lancets with panel tracery, moulded reveals and hood moulds. The south side has 3 buttresses, that to the east of the porch with an incised sundial, and similar fenestration, the central window having a hood mould with mask stops. C19 vestry has coped gables and to north, a cusped double lancet, Decorated style, with hood mould and stops. Unbuttressed 2 bay chancel has coped east gable with cross. East end has a Geometrical triple lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has an off- centre pointed doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and to its left, a Perpendicular style double lancet with ogee heads, sgemental headed reveal and hood mould. South porch has chamfered plinth, coped gable with kneelers and cross, and C13 style moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops. Interior has stone benches and scissor braced roof. Restored C15 5 centred arched doorway with C19 doors. C14 tower arch has rebate and roll moulding and hood mould, and C20 glazed screen in the top. West window has memorial stained glass, 1867. Nave south east window has stained glass by H. Hughes, 1870. Kingpost roof with struts. Vestry has in the east wall a moulded pointed aumbry. Chancel has a mid C14 double chamfered and rebated arch with half octagonal responds. North side has to left, a segmental pointed opening with a C20 wooden screen. East end has a stained glass window by H. Hughes, 1878. Scissor braced roof, 1985, with wall posts on corbels. Fittings include C19 moulded octagonal font with textual inscription, traceried octagonal pulpit and sounding board, pews and early C19 organ in Gothic case. Brass eagle lectern, 1903. 2 C19 round headed commandment boards. Memorials include large marble and slate tablet with inscribed scroll, 1839, granite tablet with figure 1917, marble tablet, 1915, and 4 brasses C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SP4836091899

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189032

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing