This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALEXANDRA HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALEXANDRA HOUSE

List entry Number: 1074809

Location

ALEXANDRA HOUSE, 47, RUTLAND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Leicester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188791

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK59190457 RUTLAND STREET 3/101 No.47 718/8/327 ALEXANDRA HOUSE

22-AUG-1974 II

Bootlace warehouse. Designed and built 1895 to '98, by Edward Burgess (architect) for Sir Samuel Faire. Damaged by bombing c. 1941. Cleaned 1990. Steel frame with buff-coloured granite plinth. Rutland Street elevation, nine windows, Southampton Street elevation six windows. Ground floor, plain two-light windows. First and second floor windows divided by tapered square pilasters supporting entablature above, with frieze of shell coves and small figures supporting console brackets. Above is ornate balustered balcony to round arched third floor windows with shafts between rising to pinnacles above parapet. The first and second floor windows are two-light with fluted and panelled pilasters. The end bays project slightly with pediments over with finials. The corner is splayed and is flanked by wide flat pilasters surmounted by corbelled octagonal turrets with short spires. These turrets flank the circular drum of what was once a dome. Ground floor of corner is round-arch entrance with semi-octagonal pilasters, first floor two-light window with shell tympanum flanked by torch finials, three-light second floor window with ornate frieze and balustered balcony to round-arch third floor window. elaborately pierced parapet above. INTERIOR. Hexagonal entrance lobby has domed vault decorated with blue and gold tiles. Two staircases with wooden turned balusters. A number of offices survive on the lower three floors mostly decorated with wooden panelling. There are small personal offices for high-grade staff with elaborate panelling and fireplaces. some even have Jacobean style plaster ceilings. The larger staff offices have plainer painted panelling with etched glass.



Listing NGR: SK5919104582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 59191 04582

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 02:36:16.

End of official listing