List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
List entry Number: 1074922
Holmwood, 134 Staines Road, Feltham
The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Greater London Authority
District Type: London Borough
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 21-May-1973
Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2013
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
House. c1820-26. The later C19 extension to the rear is not of special interest and is excluded from the listing.
Reasons for Designation
Holmwood, No. 134 Staines Road, Feltham, built c1820-26, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: an 1820s house retaining a significant proportion of its historic fabric; * Rarity: as a survival of the type of middle-status Georgian villas that once abounded on the rural fringes of London and Middlesex, now relatively rare in a regional context
The land alongside this stretch of Staines Road began to be developed after 1813 following the Enclosures award for Bedfont Parish, gradually acquiring detached and semi-detached villas set in spacious grounds. The area retained its semi-rural character until the inter-war period.
Holmwood was built between c1820-26 by Thomas Fagg, stagecoach proprietor, landowner and builder of Fagg’s Bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s river to the north-west; this structure has been demolished but the name survives in Fagg’s Road. The OS first edition (1865) shows the house with a pair of short, set-back side wings forming a T-plan; on the east side of the front elevation, in the angle between the flank wall and side wing, was a glazed structure, presumably a conservatory. This footprint is consistent with that shown on the 1840 Bedfont tithe map. To the west of the house was a stable block and to the north-west a small range of outbuildings. By 1876 a rear wing had been added. In 1945 Holmwood was acquired for office use by the Minimax Fire Extinguisher works which had been built to the west of the house in 1911; the firm later became part of Chubb Security. In 1984 the factory was demolished and redeveloped as the Griffin Centre industrial estate, encompassing Holmwood, its garden and the land to the east.
Photographs of 1974 and 1978 show that the west wing was one storey high and much altered or rebuilt; the east wing was two storeys high and probably contemporary with the house. Building works were evidently in progress in 1978 and it may have been at this time that the side wings and stables were demolished. Holmwood is now the sole survivor of the Regency and Victorian villas that stood along this stretch of Staines Road.
MATERIALS: brick faced in stucco; modern render to flank walls; slate roofs
PLAN: the main house was two rooms deep to either side of a central hall and rear stair. Large openings have been made in the spine wall between the front and rear rooms; the eastern rear room appears to have once been subdivided to form an additional small room at the rear. The rear west bedroom has been subdivided and an additional door added from the landing.
EXTERIOR: the house is two storeys high above basement, and has a shallow hipped roof with boxed eaves. Chimney stacks have been truncated. The symmetrical three-bay front elevation has panelled angle pilasters; all windows have decorative lugged detail to the cills. The central round-arched entrance has a radial fanlight; the door and steps are modern. Windows to either side are round headed with moulded surrounds, and have wooden sashes with radial glazing bars and margin lights. Upper-floor windows have 6-over-6 pane sashes, also with margin lights. The rear elevation has sash windows; that to the ground-floor east room replaced with a modern casement.
INTERIOR: moulded cornice and arch to hall. The open-string well stair has column newels, a mahogany handrail, stick balusters and scrolled silhouette tread ends, terminating in a curtail. The west front room has a reeded cornice; the east room a moulded cornice and deep plaster decorative frieze of late C19/early C20 appearance; to the rear of this room a door of similar date with paterae ornament leads through to the rear extension. Surviving joinery includes window architraves and aprons; panelled shutters to ground-floor front windows, some door architraves and a few sections of skirting. No fireplaces or original panelled doors survive.
National Grid Reference: TQ1065274421
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074922 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:41:03.
End of official listing