Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1075078

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2019 at 10:43:49.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Clawson, Hose and Harby

National Grid Reference: SK 74727 31296


CLAWSON, HOSE AND BURDEN LANE HARBY North Side, HARBY SK 7431-7531 Church of St Mary the 41/18 Virgin 1.1.68


Church. C13-late C15, restored 1874. Vestry added 1903. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, aisled nave, S porch and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops, 2-light windows to N with ogee-arched heads to lights and 3-light window to S with cinquefoiled ogee-arched heads to lights, 4-centred heads, all with hood moulds. Vestry continues S aisle and overlaps 1 bay of chancel and has 2-light E window, datestone to left of window and door to S. Nave has 4-window clerestory of 2-light windows with cinquefoiled heads to lights, 4-centred heads to hood moulds. N aisle has 3-light windows to E & W ends with round trefoil-headed lights, 4-centred head and hood moulds. 2-light window to NE with cinquefoil-headed lights, 4-centred head and 3-light window to NW with cinquefoiled heads to outer lights and cusped ogee -arched head to central light and basket-arched head, both with hood moulds and label steps. Many-moulded N door with hood mould and label stops. S aisle has 2-light window to SE with cusped ogee-arched heads to lights, and 3-light window to SW with cinquefoiled ogee-arched heads to lights, both with segmental-arched heads, hood moulds and label stops. 2-light W window with Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred head and hood mould with label stops. Many-moulded S door with hood mould and label stops, that to left a re-used shaft capital with interwining leaf decoration. S porch has double hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, crocketed pinnacles to angles and 1-light window to E & W with pointed trefoil head. 3-stage truer has 2-light window to bottom stage W with cinquefoiled ogee-arched heads to lights and quatrefoil to head, hood mould and label stops. Niche to middle stage above with chamfer and hood mould. 2-light bell-chamber openings with tracery similar to that of W window and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Base of parapet has frieze with ball flower ornament, heads and animals. Diagonal offset buttresses. Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church. Interior: Chancel has chamfered piscina. 3-light window to SW, now internal, with cinquefoiled heads to lights, 4-centred head and hood would. C19 arch- braced collar truss roof on stone foliage corbels. Chancel arch has polygonal responds with nailhead to capitals and double-chamfered arch. Nave has 3-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers with semi-octagonal shafts, polygonal responds, high moulded bases to clear pews, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Grotesque head corbels to C19 roof. S aisle has chamfered ogee-arched piscina. Double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds, that to left with inscription recording benefaction. Octagonal font with 2-light blank tracery patterns to bowl and a date of 1606 carved later to stem. C18 Commandment boards; oil on board. Royal Arms of George II, oil on board, above chancel arch. Semi-circular panel above with painted "inscription" FEAR GOD/HONOUM the KING. Buildings of England Leicester 1984 p. 174

Listing NGR: SK7472731296


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190106

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 174

End of official listing