Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075141.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Apr-2021 at 19:18:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Melton (District Authority)
Ab Kettleby
National Grid Reference:
SK 71242 23158


AB KETTLEBY CHURCH LANE (East Side) WARTNABY SK 72 SW Church of St Michael Church of St Michael 5/250 1.1.68 II*

GV Church. C13, drastically restored 1867-8 by W Gillett and 1948-50. coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisle and porch, slate roof to chancel. Chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch and W tower. 1-bay chancel has triple stepped faucet E Window with nailhead decoration to hood mould and 3-light chamfered stone mullion window to S with rectangular wave-moulded stone surround. 3-bay nave has faucet windows to N with nailhead ornament to hood moulds and blocked N door with shafts, imposts, round-arched head and hood mould. Clerestory to S of 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with rectangular chamfered surrounds. S aisle has lancet windows with cusped heads and nailhead to hood moulds. C19 S door with ornamental hinges; renewed doorway with chamfer and round-arched head. Porch largely rebuilt C19 with sunk quadrant moulding to basket-arched head of doorway. Small 3-stage truer has lancet window to bottom stage W similar to those to aisle and twin bell-cote with ridged stone saddleback roof. C19 moulded stone eaves and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Prominent square limestone stack above N door with octagonal stone flue. All lancet windows renewed. Interior: nave has 3-bay S arcade with circular piers, semi-circular responds, moulded capitals, polygonal abaci and double-chamfered, mind arches. Piers have stone seats to moulded bases. SE pier has interlace omament to capital on S side and upright leaves to nave side. Arches retain much of original painted decoration in red with separate fleur de lys to inner surface of SE arch, four-petalled flowers to middle arch, separate flowering plants to SW arch, chevron ornament to inner chamfer, discs to outer chamfer and leaf trails between the chamfers. Double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals, that to left with curved head and leaves. Bench ends of c.1500. 2 charity boards, C18 and early C19. Monuments: Wall monument of limestone to Robert Wartnaby d.1727. Slate wall monument to Rev. William Cant d.1768 and other members of his family. Pointed arched brass wall monument on limestone ground with angel holding inscription scroll to Rosamund Greaves Bingham of Wartnaby Hall d.1863 in Paris, aged 29. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.419.

Listing NGR: SK7124223158


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 419


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/14789/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].