WALGRAVE HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1075325

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: WALGRAVE HALL FARMHOUSE, HANNINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALGRAVE HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:46:03.

Location

Statutory Address: WALGRAVE HALL FARMHOUSE, HANNINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Walgrave

National Grid Reference: SP 80600 71898

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALGRAVE HANNINGTON ROAD SP87SW (East side) 11/218 Walgrave Hall Farmhouse 02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Walgrave Hall and gatepiers)

GV II

Country house now farmhouse. Mid C17, altered C18 and C19. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed lias with slate roof. Now 3-unit plan, originally larger. 2 storeys with attic, 4-window range. Gabled cross wing to right breaking forward has 4-light stone mullion windows with transoms to ground and first floor. Similar blank 2-light window to return wall of cross wing. 3-window range to left has early C20 casements in original openings with flat arches and keystones. C19 door to right, probably former window opening, has C20 porch. Ashlar gable parapets and brick stacks at ridge and end. Side elevation to right has balnk 2-light stone mullion with transom. Interior: Passage to left of entrance has large plaster coat of arms of the Langham dated 1674. This area which is now subdivided originally formed part of the Hall. Entrance hall has 2 openings with semi-circular heads and keystones; similar openings on first floor landing. Fine staircase c.1630 at rear, around open well with balusters having Ionic heads and openwork newel posts. The house owned by the Langhams family originally extended to the left of the present house with a tower in the centre, according to a C18 drawing. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.441).

Listing NGR: SP8060071898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360473

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 441

End of official listing