CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075356
Date first listed:
19-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075356.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:10:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Overstone
National Grid Reference:
SP 80560 66073

Details

OVERSTONE OVERSTONE PARK SP86NW 13/187 Church of St. Nicholas

- II

Church. c.1807, remodelled 1903. Limestone ashlar with slate roof. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south chapel, north vestry and west tower. Chancel east window of 3 lights with 4 centred arch head. South aisle c.1903 of 3-window range of 3-light square headed windows, 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South chapel, also c.1903: south window 3-lights with pointed head and tracery; east window of 3-lights with square head. Nave, north elevation; one 3-light window with 4-centred arch head. Pitched roof with ashlar cornices and ashlar gable parapets with finial. Octagonal ashlar lateral stack. North vestry c.1903 has 2-light north window with pointed head and west door also with pointed head. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets. North porch at base of west tower has ashlar gable parapets and finial. West tower of 3 stages with flat string course between 2-light west windows at ground floor and similar windows to 3 faces of second stage. 2-light square-headed bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret in corner. Interior: Double chamfered chancel arch, 3 bay south arcade of triple chamfered arches on circular piers. Double chamfered tower arch and similar arches to south chapel (now vestry). Stained glass: East window has C16 French glass reset, north window of nave has early C20 armorial glass commemorating Lord Overstone's family. Monuments: North wall of chancel. Early C18 tablet to Strafford family with fluted pilasters with open pediment and puttii above. South wall of chancel has similar smaller tablet. Both reset from earlier church in Overstone Park now demolished. Oval tablet in tower to Elizabeth Ives died 1792. Brass tablet under inscribed to John Kipling 1831. Various other C19 tablets. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.368).

Listing NGR: SP8056066073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360440
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 368

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02594/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Knight. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].